Setting Up E-Link

Mike70

Hi,

I've been trying to set e-link up tonight.

The computer seems to be communicating with the e-link module OK.

But when it comes to setting up a train, I just want to check if I'm doing the right thing.

The loco I'm using

is R2991XS.

Firstly I selected the 'Set Up Locomotive' icon.

Under locomotive ID I selected 0003. I believe this is the default setting for new locos.

Then under name I selected R2991XS.

The loco is now coming up in the top right

corner of Railmaster.

But when I try and activate the sounds, nothing is happening.

Any idea where I might be going wrong?

I've had a read through the pdf manual, but it is a bit confusing.

Regards,

Mike.

I did a search in the loco list directory and that loco isn't listed but R2991x is.

This doesn't have any sounds set by default so if this is the version you selected you will have to assign them manually.

This can be done by going into the loco

list and selecting the loco and then assign the appropriate function to each button using the drop down boxes. once you have done this ensure each function is enabled by clicking in the box to the right of the drop box and then click on the green tick to save.

you should then have your sounds

Mike, so you've set up the loco in RM, but now you don't seem to be able to communicate with it. So can I suggest a couple of things;

First, as you have left it on the default address, it should run. So do you have your eLink connected to the track,

not the programming track, when you try to run it?

Whatever the answer, I suggest you put the loco on the programming track, go back to set up loco, and try to change the loco ID with the change ID button being the middle button at the bottom of the

screen which will leave default 0003 for the next loco you put on the track. Many people use the last 4 digits of the running number as the ID because then the loco tells you what its ID is - not so important with Rm but necessary using Elite.

Anyway,

now put it back on the track and see if you can run it now. If you are still unable to run it, try reading its CVs in accordance with the instructions. Can you read the ID you set for a start? Let us know.

beejack said:

I did a search in the loco list directory and that loco isn't listed but R2991x is.
This doesn't have any sounds set by default so if this is the version you selected you will have to assign them manually.
This can be

done by going into the loco list and selecting the loco and then assign the appropriate function to each button using the drop down boxes. once you have done this ensure each function is enabled by clicking in the box to the right of the drop box and then

click on the green tick to save. you should then have your sounds

Thanks beejack, I noticed it was only down as R2991X, but I assumed this was an abbreviation. I'll have another go tomorrow.

Fishmanoz said:

Mike, so you've set up the loco in RM, but now you don't seem to be able to communicate with it. So can I suggest a couple of things;

First, as you have left it on the default address, it should run. So do you have

your eLink connected to the track, not the programming track, when you try to run it?

Whatever the answer, I suggest you put the loco on the programming track, go back to set up loco, and try to change the loco ID with the change ID button being the

middle button at the bottom of the screen which will leave default 0003 for the next loco you put on the track. Many people use the last 4 digits of the running number as the ID because then the loco tells you what its ID is - not so important with Rm but

necessary using Elite.

Anyway, now put it back on the track and see if you can run it now. If you are still unable to run it, try reading its CVs in accordance with the instructions. Can you read the ID you set for a start? Let us know.

Fishamonz,

I'll try that also. I actually had the loco on the track. But I will try changing the address on program track. As I only had one loco, I just thought I'd try a quick test straight out the box.

There does not seem to be any feedback confirming that

elink can see the loco.

First, as you have left it on the default address, it should run. So do you have your eLink connected to the track,

not the programming track, when you try to run it?

Whatever the answer, I suggest you put the loco on the programming track, go back to set up loco, and try to change the loco ID with the change ID button being the middle button at the bottom of the

screen which will leave default 0003 for the next loco you put on the track. Many people use the last 4 digits of the running number as the ID because then the loco tells you what its ID is - not so important with Rm but necessary using Elite.

Anyway,

now put it back on the track and see if you can run it now. If you are still unable to run it, try reading its CVs in accordance with the instructions. Can you read the ID you set for a start? Let us know.

No worries. I appreciate your replies.

When I physically connected elink to the track, I wedged the cables in between the track and the plastic sleepers, i.e. the gap where you normally insert a track connector.

I've got an old analogue

track connector, but I didn't want to use that in case it had a built in capacitor. I saw some comment from Hornby advising that these capacitors be removed.

Fishmanoz said:

You should be able to flip open the body of the connector near the back and snip off the leads of the capacitor which will be the only component in there.

I've managed to get everything working on R2991XS and

another loco that came in a blue box.

To be honest I'm not really sure what the problem was. It was either;

a) E-link wasn't connecting to the PC correctly.
b) The connection I was using between e-link and the track wan't good enough.

When

I looked inside the old track connector (circa 1981), there were no capacitors inside.
I've probably improved the connection between e-link and the track when I started using this.

Despite Sparrow Hawk being listed as R2991X (not R2991XS), all the

sound functions were included.

Regards,
Mike.

Graskie said:

Yes, Mike I've found that at times locos newly upgraded can have boxes with the previous condition's old number, such as not showing DCC ready on the box when in fact it is. Something to perhaps look out for when buying exactly

what you want.

Graskie, the problem with R2991XS wasn't the box, it was the way it is listed on Railmaster.

It is down as R2991X.

Beejack suggested this might be why the sounds were not working.
But when I selected R2991X, all

the correct sounds were assigned.

Mike.

Archived