Railmaster 1.53 / E-Link - Can't change Loco ID and other CVs.

Railmaster 1.52 and my e-link had worked OK but today I loaded RM 1.53 (eventually - see later)

With RM 1.53 I can read CVs OK but I have found I can't change loco ID (CV 1) and the decoder reset (writing 8 to CV 8 which should change the loco ID to

3) didn't work either. The loco is a railroad 9F and the decoder is an R8249.

I tried changing other CVs and that didn't work either. I tried other locos with a variety of decoders - all the same. (I have a ZTC511 and CV changing works OK with same

locos.)

I then tried to change the loco ID to one with a 4 digit address. That DID work even though the write resulted in a message "confirm failed" I had entered "8888" as the 4 digit address and CV17 value became 226 and CV18 became 154. The loco

worked OK with the new address 8888.

So in summary :

1] Why can't I change CV1 , CV 8 and other CVs ? My set is OK otherwise I wouldn't be able to read CVs or change to a 4 digit address.

2] I've posted this in the forum because I can't find how to

contact RM support (can anyone advise?)

3] How can I change a loco with a 4 digit address back to an ordinary 2 digit address?

4]My RM 1.53 automatic download didn't work and I couldn't trace the advised download .exe alternative so I had to completely

remove Railmaster and re-install (losing all my loco definitions and track layout in the process)

I genuinely like the concept and functionality promise of Railmaster and e-link but it's driving me barmy at the moment.

My setup is ACER 1690 Laptop

with Windows XP SP3

Ian

The link to manually download the update is:

http://www.powerpos.com/rail-master/rm_setup153.exe

I don't keep this in my head, I just went looking in the forum and found it under the thread title Automatic Update which is now on page 2 of

the forum at the top. When a later version of RM is released, you just change the link to that version number and it works.

You needn't have lost any data either. You could have saved all the files that contain your locos, layout etc and reinstalled

them after you reinstalled RM. your layout will be saved under a file called layoutname.PLN. I can't remember the loco file name but ask RM support when you contact them as below.

Did you remember to reinstall as Administrator? If not, right click

on the Rm desktop item, select Properties, then the Compatibility tab and check the box Run as Administrator.

Finally, to email RM Support, open RM, go to the Help item at the top of the screen and select Email RM Support.

Not sure about your

not being able to write CVs, particularly as you have said you can write a loco ID. However, to go back to short address, just go to Setup Loco tab and write the short address in Set Loco ID button, when you are able to write same, on the programming track

of course.

Fishmanoz said:

The link to manually download the update is:

http://www.powerpos.com/rail-master/rm_setup153.exe

I don't keep this in my head, I just went looking in the forum and found it under the thread title Automatic Update

which is now on page 2 of the forum at the top. When a later version of RM is released, you just change the link to that version number and it works.

You needn't have lost any data either. You could have saved all the files that contain your locos,

layout etc and reinstalled them after you reinstalled RM. your layout will be saved under a file called layoutname.PLN. I can't remember the loco file name but ask RM support when you contact them as below.

Did you remember to reinstall as Administrator?

If not, right click on the Rm desktop item, select Properties, then the Compatibility tab and check the box Run as Administrator.

Finally, to email RM Support, open RM, go to the Help item at the top of the screen and select Email RM Support.

Not

sure about your not being able to write CVs, particularly as you have said you can write a loco ID. However, to go back to short address, just go to Setup Loco tab and write the short address in Set Loco ID button, when you are able to write same, on the programming

track of course.

Thanks Fishmanoz - All is OK now and I can change CVs OK.
I blame my poor reading eyesight and will now ensure I'll have reading specs on when checking the RM manual..................
I now know the update file name

is "rm setup.exe" and not "rm_setup.exe" as I thought...
Also I realise that the CV update is achieved by clicking the downward arrow button and not enter as I had been doing.......
I'm very happy with Railmaster / E-link again.
Ian

Archived