How do you connect cobalt digital motors to the e-link system

confused1

confused1 said:

My first try with e-link, unable to get the point motor to talk to the e-link.
2 motors set up as a cross over and one single motor

There are quite a few entries regarding cobalt motors on this forum and

the Railmaster forum, try searching for cobalt and see if they help. I think the answers depend on whether you are using cobalt accessory decoders or driving cobalt motors from Hornby R8247 accessory controllers.

The latest Cobalt Digital does not require a separate decoder as it is built in. To use it in the simplest way you just attach terminals 1 and 2 on the point motor to your bus wires. Terminal three gives you frog polarity, and four and five give you the

option to use a switch for point operation as well. There is a small slide switch which is used for programming and normal operation. For programming you just attach your two wires straight into the point motor and address it as you would if you were using

an accessory decoder. The DC* Cobalt website has a very useful and comprehensive instruction sheet showing all the wiring diagrams you might require. I don't think e-link is mentioned as it's rather new. Best of luck.

If you have a non-decoder fitted Cobalt motor and Hornby R8247 accessory controller you can control it by following the instructions here:

http://www.dccconcepts.com/PDF_Downloads/cobalt_instructions.pdf

Refer to page 12, section called "Using Cobalt

with DC output 3 wire DC-out Accessory decoders such as the L3nz LS100", but you can do exactly the same thing with Hornby R8247.

You can get 0.6W 200 ohm resistors from Maplins, 26p each.

I set the time on the accessory controller port to 5 sec (5000

milliseconds) using Railmaster.

Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...

I am confused. I have the elink up and working on my layout which has Peco electrofrog points. I am thinking of using Cobalt Dcc point motors (I drilled holes through the baseboard at the point of track laying). As I understand it the output from the elink

is 15v dc which is higher than the 9v required by the cobalt motors. Do the dcc fitted cobalts include a resister or do I need to include one in the link from the bus wire?

PeterBal said:

I am confused. I have the elink up and working on my layout which has Peco electrofrog points. I am thinking of using Cobalt Dcc point motors (I drilled holes through the baseboard at the point of track laying). As I understand

it the output from the elink is 15v dc which is higher than the 9v required by the cobalt motors. Do the dcc fitted cobalts include a resister or do I need to include one in the link from the bus wire?

According to the instruction sheet ( http://www.gaugemaster.com/instructions/dcc_concepts/cobalt_digital_manual.pdf

) the digital cobalts are OK up to 16.5 volts on DCC.

Rog (RJ) said:

PeterBal said:

I am confused. I have the elink up and working on my layout which has Peco electrofrog points. I am thinking of using Cobalt Dcc point motors (I drilled holes through the baseboard at the point of track

laying). As I understand it the output from the elink is 15v dc which is higher than the 9v required by the cobalt motors. Do the dcc fitted cobalts include a resister or do I need to include one in the link from the bus wire?
According to the instruction

sheet ( http://www.gaugemaster.com/instructions/dcc_concepts/cobalt_digital_manual.pdf ) the digital cobalts are OK up to 16.5 volts on DCC.

PeterBal said:

Thanks for this information. Given that the cobalts are said to perform better at nearer 9v than 16v could I still add resisters (as for the analogue version (see ) above or would this impede the DCC electronics in any way?

Peter

Are

you aware that there are two types of Cobalts? It's important to know the difference so that we are talking about the same thing. The original and the digital version.

The original Cobalt is for dc (analogue) use at 6 - 12 volts dc and if used

on a DCC (digital) system needs to be connected to an additional decoder.

The Digital Cobalts have an inbuilt decoder and can be connected directly to the DCC bus or rails at up to 16.5 Volts.

Rog is right about DCC voltage but you will also find info here in recent threads about DCC Concepts decoder operation with both Elite and RM/eLink. One thread also talks about adding resistors, which will not be detrimental to DCC by the way.

All

DCC Concept decoders are the same too, whether you are talking about separate AD-1, AD-4, ADS-8 or those mounted on the latest Cobalt. When searching for the other threads, don't look for Cobalt as many don't mention that, search on DCC Concepts or just AD.

All your answers are in those threads, a number of them, in the last month or so.

Archived