Changing PC's

[reply]Fishmanoz said:

All of this detail is contained in files with obvious names in the Railmasster folder in Program Files or Program Files(X86) depending on your Windows version. Just copy them to a flash drive and paste them into the same place

on your new PC.[Yes most of them are, but i'm struggling to get the Loco details, I have 38 locos on the database but cannot seem to find the files! I can find Loco1.dat, loco4.dat and locos.dat but these don't help, any idea's? ]

Wasn't sure myself so did a search on "loco file" and found 3 months ago that DCCTinker told us they are stored in resource.mdb.

I'm assuming he is correct but when I tried to check, all I can see in this file are decoder pictures - it won't open

in Access, only Office - but I'm assuming they are in there as non-graphical data. When I checked a trial version on another computer, the file size is the same even though this one doesn't have any locos in it.

Maybe HRMS would like to confirm?

Fishmanoz said:

All of this detail is contained in files with obvious names in the Railmaster folder in Program Files or Program Files(X86) depending on your Windows version. Just copy them to a flash drive and paste them into the same place

on your new PC.

It is worth copying this folder to another drive for security purposes. If you are planning to change computers you are in control but if the drive fails you will have lost this data!

If you use TrackMaster copy

this folder to another drive also, it stores any tracks you have designed.

You should do this regularly or use a synch program to automatically synch a copy of the folders to another drive location.

Backing up the entire folder will give you good insurance, but you can't simply paste the whole thing into another computer and expect it to work. The RM team have chosen to put installed executable files into the same directory structure as the data files.

Only the data files can be pasted into the new computer, executable files must be properly installed via their setup files.

If you want to backup data that you have created within RailMaster, the files to copy are as follows:-

Resource.mdb This contains all of the locos you set up

Groups.dat This contains details of loco groups you set up

*.pln These are track

plan files

*.prg These are RailMaster program files for automation

You should never copy the entire RailMaster folder onto another PC or the latter installation will not work. RailMaster must be installed properly from the CD or downloaded setup

file. Only then can you copy the above files into the new RailMaster folder.

The program folder which contains all of the above files (assuming you did not alter any of the default setup properties) is C:Program Files (x86)RailMaster. On Windows XP

and earlier, it is just C:Program FilesRailMaster.

The next major update of RailMaster will contain a backup routine to automate this. In the mean time you can either copy the files manually, or if you know your way around batch files you could create

a small batch file to copy the required files onto another medium e.g.:-

Copy "c:program files (x86)railmasterresource.mdb" e:

Copy "c:program files (x86)railmastergroups.dat" e:

Copy "c:program files (x86)railmaster*.pln" e:

Copy "c:program files (x86)railmaster*.prg" e:

The above batch file assumes your backup medium (e.g. USB memory stick) is located on drive e: although you can change this in the batch file if it a different drive letter. Batch files can be edited

in the Windows Notepad text editor and saved with the file name something.bat. You can then create a shortcut to the file and run it from a single icon.

HornbyRailMasterSupport said:

If you want to backup data that you have created within RailMaster, the files to copy are as follows:-

Groups.dat This contains details of loco

groups you set up
*.pln These are track plan files

You should never copy the entire RailMaster folder onto another PC or the latter installation will not work. RailMaster must be installed

properly from the CD or downloaded setup file. Only then can you copy the above files into the new RailMaster folder.

The program folder which contains all of the above files (assuming you did not alter any of the default setup properties) is C:Program

Files (x86)RailMaster. On Windows XP and earlier, it is just C:Program FilesRailMaster.

The next major update of RailMaster will contain a backup routine to automate this. In the mean time you can either copy the files manually, or if you know your

way around batch files you could create a small batch file to copy the required files onto another medium e.g.:-

Copy "c:program

files (x86)railmaster*.pln" e:

The above batch file assumes your backup medium (e.g. USB memory stick) is located on drive e: although you can change this in the batch file if it a different

drive letter. Batch files can be edited in the Windows Notepad text editor and saved with the file name something.bat. You can then create a shortcut to the file and run it from a single icon.
Thanks rail master support, I really appreciate your

help

• 7 years later...
HornbyRailMasterSupport said:

Groups.dat This contains details of loco

groups you set up
*.pln These are track plan files

You should never copy the entire RailMaster folder onto another PC or the latter installation will not work. RailMaster must be installed

properly from the CD or downloaded setup file. Only then can you copy the above files into the new RailMaster folder.

The program folder which contains all of the above files (assuming you did not alter any of the default setup properties) is C:Program

Files (x86)RailMaster. On Windows XP and earlier, it is just C:Program FilesRailMaster.

The next major update of RailMaster will contain a backup routine to automate this. In the mean time you can either copy the files manually, or if you know your

way around batch files you could create a small batch file to copy the required files onto another medium e.g.:-

Copy "c:program

files (x86)railmaster*.pln" e:

The above batch file assumes your backup medium (e.g. USB memory stick) is located on drive e: although you can change this in the batch file if it a different

drive letter. Batch files can be edited in the Windows Notepad text editor and saved with the file name something.bat. You can then create a shortcut to the file and run it from a single icon.

Thanks for the bat file for RailMaster important

files.

Please confirm the same for TrackMaster are they just the .tp files?

Copy "c:program files (x86)trackmaster*.tp" e:",2013-10-21 13:00:17,2013-10-21 13:00:17,067781,5665,1491058,NULL,Judging by the size of the toggles n those miniature toggle switches