elink and win7

DEAN104

Took the plunge,

After a frustrating afternoon.it lives!

Install software

Don't run it

Restart computer

Connect elink

Check which comm number it's connected too.

Install driver(if it didn't automatically)

Run railmaster

Check

comm number in RM matches.

It should update RM then elink.

The light should be going on and off as it gets reconized.

And a sound as connects and reconnected.

Light steady.

Small oval with locomotive on and offer you go.

Didn't happen like

this but that's what should happen.

Six hours got it going...

Gotta blame win7 .

Hope the updates are regular Hornby!

Despite what some say, reports of success from others would indicate that:

RM installs successfully on all Windows versions - XP, Vista, 7 and 8

The Elite and eLink drivers for XP, Vista, 7 and 8 have all worked successfully.

Therefore

I conclude the entire system works on all versions of Windows.

RailMaster has been tested thoroughly on all versions of Windows from XP through to Windows 8 and works equally well on all versions with no issues.

Whilst there are differences in the way each version of Windows works, and certain new features

(particularly security) are aggressive, if the instructions are followed carefully then the installation and running of RailMaster is straightforward and takes only a few minutes.

From support queries we have found that the most common issues are that

a) RailMaster is not installed with administrator privileges and/or b) Internet security software on the PC is interfering with RailMaster and/or c) The DCC controller driver is not installed correctly.

a) When installing RailMaster, the setup file

should be right-clicked and "Run as administrator". This does not apply to Windows XP. Once installed, to check administrator privileges, right click on the icon used to run RailMaster, select "Properties", click on the Compatibility tab and ensure the box

"Run as administrator" is checked.

b) RailMaster must be added to any antivirus and firewall software running on the PC. We have found that some customers say they have added RailMaster as an exception to their Internet security software, yet this has

not actually been done. So double check this. Although the Windows firewall should not also be running if a third party firewall has been installed, in some cases it can still be running and should be turned off.

c) A hornby Elite and eLink driver is

included with RailMaster, however both Windows 7 and Windows 8 prefer to use their own generic driver. When plugging the DCC controller in for the first time, allows Windows to use its update feature to find a driver and use that. The supplied driver should

only be used with Windows XP and Vista.

All of the above is included in the RailMaster PDF guide and it is important to read the entire guide first, before jumping the gun and possibly installing RailMaster and/or the driver incorrectly. It only takes

around half an hour to read the manual. Issues relating to RailMaster account for fewer than 1% of all RailMaster users and in 99% of cases we have found that the solution is covered by a-c above.

There is no need to have to restart a PC after installing

the DCC controller driver and RailMaster. The vast majority of users follow the instructions and have no problems installed and running RailMaster. To emphasise, it is important to read the instructions first then install the software according to them.

Ah you see.

You can follow the instructions;which were indeed followed

The issue was with the usb connector on the Elink.

The usb port was very loose;once I had put the device on the floor,it finally recognized it was connected.

I and my Wife

have spent a £1000 on Horby products this year,this and a shunter were the only things not working as expected.

I posted my original thread thinking someone may have thought I'd not done something incorrectly.

Rather than huff and puff I repaired

it.

It now works perfectly.

The same for the shunted!

I could also say;

would I pay a little more to know the odd product was taken off the line for q.c.checks.yes

I would also pay a little extra for premium hornby locomotives manufactured in the u.k.

I did indeed blame my win 7 install which had

not been updated recently.

Customers ladies and gentlemen.

Archived