RM/elink using accessory decoder DCC concepts AD-S8

Phlox

Hi all,

new to model rail, i want to use the ADS8 as a points decoder with Rm/elink. but not having any success getting rm to assign an address to the first decoder in the ADS8. i have seen a utube vid which showed a hornby select connecting to

it ok. Is my problem that i need to know the default id in the decoder to connect to it to change it ?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi phlox. Take a look at the thread on Cobalt Digital, I think in the DCC forum for a lengthy discussion on programming these decoders. I'm assuming this one is exactly the same as CD and AD1/SD4. If you look in the manual, it says with the decoder on

the main track, slide the switch to learn mode, select the point you wish to address it to using RM, now put the switch back to run mode and it should be programmed to that point. Also, I think you need to use this procedure on all 8 decoders in the bank,

not just make the first one 1 and have the others become 2,3,4 etc.

Let us know how you go with that. On the other thread, there is still some discussion to be had to confirm this works.

Thanks for time spent. It now works.

I deleted the track i had setup, and started again. This time i selected the bottom option in the DCC acc. decoders which railmaster can 'talk' to. a single point decoder, this worked fine. Then rebuilt the track

layout in Railmaster, and when i pointed to the address i had programmed into the decoder it works.

Phlox said:

Thanks for time spent. It now works.
I deleted the track i had setup, and started again. This time i selected the bottom option in the DCC acc. decoders which railmaster can 'talk' to. a single point decoder, this worked fine.

Then rebuilt the track layout in Railmaster, and when i pointed to the address i had programmed into the decoder it works.

and yes it wanted the wiring to be track connected for this decoder. So im proceeding one decoder at a time, making this one 61. switch moved to learn for cv send, then back to normal working. Have done a couple of complete reboots to be sure, and its

working reliably. 1 down 7 more to go. Thanks again.

It is interesting that when adding the decoder to your layout having put the point signals in place, it gives 2 more decoders as options in the drop down menu, which dont appear in the original..

still no DCC AD-S8 option though. but i will also check the cobalt forum you mentioned.

Phlox said:

and yes it wanted the wiring to be track connected for this decoder. So im proceeding one decoder at a time, making this one 61. switch moved to learn for cv send, then back to normal working. Have done a couple of complete reboots

to be sure, and its working reliably. 1 down 7 more to go. Thanks again.

It is interesting that when adding the decoder to your layout having put the point signals in place, it gives 2 more decoders as options in the drop down menu, which dont appear

in the original.. still no DCC AD-S8 option though. but i will also check the cobalt forum you mentioned.

Hi Phlox,
I'm also looking at adding an ADS-8 to my eLink but finding info on it hard to come by. I would like to run an accessory bus to

power my Peco point motors so was wondering if you could confirm the inputs (power, dcc signal) it requires.

Fishmanoz said:

All the DCC Concepts decoders are the same, no matter which configuration they are. And if you go to their website and check them out, you will find the full manual is there.

The require only a 2 wire DCC track signal

input.

That's the issue, the dccconcepts website doesn't mention the ADS-8 ! I'll have to take a chance that it follows the AD1 and AD4 pattern (although it looks completely different).

From what I can gather from Phlox's experience, RM will

treat them like 8 individual decoders. Interesting!

Having received my ADS8 I can confirm the process for successfully configuring in RM.

Firstly, I have connected each of the 4 DCC inputs on the ADS8 to a "points bus" which is currently connected to the Track terminals on the eLink. Ultimately I

will install a separate power supply.

1. Connect the points to the Solenoid (I'm using Peco PL10 motors with accessory switches) terminals.

2. Ensure you have a track plan with points and their associated signals in place.

3. In RM choose the

accessory programming option and the only single switch option (bottom of the list).

4. Assuming you have 8 points and wish to number them 43 to 50 ......

5. Set the ADS8 decoder for point 43 to Learn mode. Each decoder has a switch you can move with

a pen. If you hold the ADS8 with the A side on the left and the B side on the right then the switch is in operate mode when up/away from you and Learn mode when down/nearer to you.

6. Enter port number 43 in the dialog box and click the download/program

button. Accept any messages.

7. Click on the point's signal.

8. Return the decoder to Operate mode.

Repeat 5-8 for the other points.

9. Exit out of the accessory decoder dialog - you will probably have to Cancel but don't worry about this!

Put the track plan in design mode.

11. Right click on point 43, enter 43 in the port box and select the single switch option in the accessory decoder drop down list. You can also change the point polarity on this dialog.

Repeat 11 for points 44-50.

That's

it!

• 3 weeks later...
MetmanUK said:

Having received my ADS8 I can confirm the process for successfully configuring in RM.

Firstly, I have connected each of the 4 DCC inputs on the ADS8 to a "points bus" which is currently connected to the Track terminals

on the eLink. Ultimately I will install a separate power supply.

1. Connect the points to the Solenoid (I'm using Peco PL10 motors with accessory switches) terminals.
2. Ensure you have a track plan with points and their associated signals in place.

In RM choose the accessory programming option and the only single switch option (bottom of the list).
4. Assuming you have 8 points and wish to number them 43 to 50 ......
5. Set the ADS8 decoder for point 43 to Learn mode. Each decoder has a switch

you can move with a pen. If you hold the ADS8 with the A side on the left and the B side on the right then the switch is in operate mode when up/away from you and Learn mode when down/nearer to you.
6. Enter port number 43 in the dialog box and click the

download/program button. Accept any messages.
8. Return the decoder to Operate mode.
Repeat 5-8 for the other points.
9. Exit out of the accessory decoder dialog - you will probably have to Cancel but don't worry

about this!
10. Put the track plan in design mode.
11. Right click on point 43, enter 43 in the port box and select the single switch option in the accessory decoder drop down list. You can also change the point polarity on this dialog.
Repeat 11

for points 44-50.

That's it!

Thanks for your prompt and detailed reply.

I have printed your list and will go through it later tonight or tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks again for your help

Metman, when I said the procedures were the same for all, I meant exactly that including the ADS-8. And you have proved it because the procedure you describe above is exactly the procedure advised in the AD manual I mentioned, and as advised by Richard

at DCC Concepts specifically for Hornby gear. And the last 2 steps are just straight RM procedures needed to set up any point. And yes, the procedures also make it clear that they are programmed individually, not as banks of 4 or any other number.

Don't

get me wrong here, I'm not trying to denigrate what you have done, rather you have proved that the published procedure, including the extra parts advised on other threads and this one, actually works - well done. You've done better than some in that regard,

and done it with eLink that has been reported as being a more problematic controller then Elite in this regard.

I think the reason the ADS-8 looks so different is the capacitors that form the CDU to make it work better with solenoid motors. They weren't

included in the original designs as DCC Concepts don't make solenoid point motors.

MetmanUK said:

6. Enter port number 43 in the dialog box and click the download/program button. Accept any messages.

That's it!

Hi Metman, can I add two point motors in a cross-over

to one de-coder point then alter RailMaster to give them both the same DCC ID say 43 in your example?

I am checking the process and going through it to understand it before I commence.

In RailMaster, in Design Layout, after adding the above code

do I choose NCE snap-it single port decoder?

I follow most of what you say but am just uncertain with item 6. insert port 43 is fine but I am unsure with the click the download/program button?

I have controller - A
Decoder - Port 43
Type

- from the drop down I have chosen - NCE snap-it single port decoder
Start up position - Left
Reverse polarity - unchecked and
Routes with nothing in.

I cannot see... click the download/program button.
Am I missing something

here or will that not show until everything is connected?

PJ, yes they are programmed on the main track. All you have to do is put the decoder in Program mode with the switch and operate the point on your track plan that you want to program it to. It accepts this address as the one you want it to operate and

will then do so when you return the switch to Run mode. All covered in the manual.

These are the simplest decoders to program of any DCC decoder, loco or accessory. The thing to get your head around is that it is done differently to other decoders.

The simplicity can trick you into thinking there is more to it. There isn't.

Pretty much the only instructions you need to do the job are Metman's 5,7 and 8. Everything else he tells you is about setting up your points in RM in the first place, including

using the single port decoder option.

Fishmanoz said:

Metman, when I said the procedures were the same for all, I meant exactly that including the ADS-8. And you have proved it because the procedure you describe above is exactly the procedure advised in the AD manual I mentioned,

and as advised by Richard at DCC Concepts specifically for Hornby gear. And the last 2 steps are just straight RM procedures needed to set up any point. And yes, the procedures also make it clear that they are programmed individually, not as banks of 4 or

any other number.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not trying to denigrate what you have done, rather you have proved that the published procedure, including the extra parts advised on other threads and this one, actually works - well done. You've done

better than some in that regard, and done it with eLink that has been reported as being a more problematic controller then Elite in this regard.

I think the reason the ADS-8 looks so different is the capacitors that form the CDU to make it work better

with solenoid motors. They weren't included in the original designs as DCC Concepts don't make solenoid point motors.

I followed your instructions but a few things tripped me up (particularly going to design mode) so I felt it might be useful

to others (like me) who were unfamiliar with RM to expand the instructions.

Its also a shame that DCC Concepts cannot add ADS8 to their documentation - it would have saved a lot of time!

PJ_model_trains said:

Hi Metman, can I add two point motors in a cross-over to one de-coder point then alter RailMaster to give them both the same DCC ID say 43 in your example?

I am checking the process and going through it to understand

it before I commence.

In RailMaster, in Design Layout, after adding the above code do I choose NCE snap-it single port decoder?

I follow most of what you say but am just uncertain with item 6. insert port 43 is fine but I am unsure with the click

the download/program button?

I have controller - A
Decoder - Port 43
Type - from the drop down I have chosen - NCE snap-it single port decoder
Start up position - Left
Reverse polarity - unchecked and
Routes with nothing in.

I

cannot see... click the download/program button.
Am I missing something here or will that not show until everything is connected?

There's a little button that is bottom left of the decoder dialog box.

MetmanUK said:

I followed your instructions but a few things tripped me up (particularly going to design mode) so I felt it might be useful to others (like me) who were unfamiliar with RM to expand the instructions.!

Good point

Metman.

And just one thing about going into design mode - I would have assumed you would have done this when you first completed your schematic design, but are you saying you have to go in again after the program/run operations?

Fishmanoz said:

MetmanUK said:

I followed your instructions but a few things tripped me up (particularly going to design mode) so I felt it might be useful to others (like me) who were unfamiliar with RM to expand the instructions.!
Good

point Metman.

And just one thing about going into design mode - I would have assumed you would have done this when you first completed your schematic design, but are you saying you have to go in again after the program/run operations?

Hi

Fishy,
I didn't, but then I didn't know about the signals dialog box at the time. I have just had a play and am able to do what you suggested for points that are yet to have a decoder attached so in future I'll probably set up points during the intitial

track plan design stage.

MetmanUK said:

Phlox said:

and yes it wanted the wiring to be track connected for this decoder. So im proceeding one decoder at a time, making this one 61. switch moved to learn for cv send, then back to normal working. Have done a

couple of complete reboots to be sure, and its working reliably. 1 down 7 more to go. Thanks again.

It is interesting that when adding the decoder to your layout having put the point signals in place, it gives 2 more decoders as options in the drop

down menu, which dont appear in the original.. still no DCC AD-S8 option though. but i will also check the cobalt forum you mentioned.
Hi Phlox,
I'm also looking at adding an ADS-8 to my eLink but finding info on it hard to come by. I would like to run

an accessory bus to power my Peco point motors so was wondering if you could confirm the inputs (power, dcc signal) it requires.

Can I add two points to one decoder outlet, for cross overs?

Fishmanoz said:

Thanks Metman. I think that confirms what I said to PJ about all but 3 of your (correct) steps being about setting up the points in RM with the other 3 that describe the program/run mode switch process for the decoders.

I

am going to add all 21 point motors to the points first, now I know how they are programmed.

I guess Warley train show at NEC will slow me down as I don't want to miss that this weekend.

Picking up on what I have read and looking ahead to when

I get into scenery, road and all the other things including lighting streets, stations, etc, etc I am going to put in a separate DCC Bus for the points and lighting accessories. If I do this do I need another controller and have to connect it to the first

one? I notice in RailMaster there are options for two inputs A and B. Do I need 2 eLinks and connect them together? How does this work?

Archived