Select and Cobalt AD1 and AD4

photog

Hi

I bought a layout which was set up for DCC using Cobalt AD1/4's and Cobalt motors. I then bought a basic Hornby Select. I read through the forums trying to figure out why I couldn't program the motors in the standard way, and buried away I found

out how to do it, so hopefully this might save someone some time.

You set the AD1 to the 'learn' mode using the switch. Then on the Select, choose the number you want the corresponding point to be and select that number. Then hit the arrow left (P5)

then arrow right (P6). On the AD1 return the switch to the normal mode, and hey presto, motors working. You simply repeat that for each on the AD4.

Hi photog, welcome to the forums. Well figured, you've done better than some people here. I think the problem some have is that it is so simple, they think they must have to do more. But it is exactly as the AD1/4 manual says, and that is downloadable

from the DCC Concepts site. That manual will also tell you about all the clever things you can do with the built in switches on the decoder.

I think you are also the first I'm aware of to use Select to run this type of decoder and point motor. I'm

sure I had it in my head that Select will only run solenoid type point motors, but that is only because it can't program the R8247 to do other then this.

The DCC Concepts site is excellent. I had a Prodigy Advance on my old 7mm layout so was familiar with how that worked with programming tortoise motors. The Cobalts are so much easier to both wire and program. Fantastic. I just couldn't find anything re

Hornby Select.

I just bought a small end to end layout and I picked up the Select to quickly get started. I did wonder if it would be capable of running stall motors and I can confirm it works perfectly. I travelled quite a distance for the layout,

from a seller who didn't know much about it other than it was professionally built. Turns out it's EM gauge, so I will have to learn quite a bit more as I go along :-))

Archived