How to convert R152 0-4-0 Loco from Midland Belle train set to DCC?

Ullswater

Hello experts

I have acquired the R152 0-4-0 loco from the Midland Belle train set. I would like to convert this to DCC, however the loco does not seem to be put together in the way that the instructions suggest an 0-4-0 would normally be at the

instructions here:

https://www.hornby.com/hornby-dcc/decoder-installation-guides/standard-0-4-0-decoder-installation-guide/

Instead of there being wires connecting the motor to the chassis pickups, it seems the motor just sits on top of the pickups

making a direct connection.

Are there any instructions anywhere on how to convert this particular model to DCC?

Many thanks for all and any help.

It should be simple. However motor and pickups are connected, they must be disconnected and any suppression components discarded. Then connect decoder red and black to the pickups, and orange and grey to the motor. If the loco runs backwards, swap orange

and grey.

Thanks Fishmanoz

The particular complication here is that the motor contacts and chassis pickups are physically in contact - the motor sits on top of the pickups - there are no wires, so I think I will need to find a way to insulate either the pickups

or the motor contacts or both, and then connect the decoder as you suggest.

Having looked at the service sheet at http://www.hornbyguide.com/service_sheet_details.asp?sheetid=49 it looks quite similar to the instruction guide you gave the link to. You will have to turn the motor over to put the connectors on the top side when

the motor is fitted. Then you will have to make sure the pickups don't contact the motor can when the motor is fitted. Apart from that, the connections are as I said above.

It is certainly different to the latest 0-4-0s like the Collector Club locos

as they come with the motor connections on the top side, so there is no need to remove the motor and it is the simplest conversion going.

Fishmanoz said:

It should be simple. However motor and pickups are connected, they must be disconnected and any suppression components discarded. Then connect decoder red and black to the pickups, and orange and grey to the motor. If the

loco runs backwards, swap orange and grey.
i am new to dcc and have an old 70s dc system. My loco is an R152 0-6-0 diesel electrics hunter, with a different motor to the one shown in the tutorial. Can you tell me which decoder I need to convert it to

dcc please?

I think this one has either an X03 or X04 motor. While some say an 8249 is OK for these, others say you are likely to blow it due to over current. I would suggest the R8245 Sapphire. Which handles a higher current.

To convert it, you need to insulate

both brush springs with a sleeve as per one side now, then connect orange and grey to them. One side pickups are in fact direct from axle to chassis so connect one of red and black to the tag screwed under the back of the motor and the other to the pickup

wire. Discard all electronic components.

For full instructions, do a forum search on X04.

Fishmanoz said:

I think this one has either an X03 or X04 motor. While some say an 8249 is OK for these, others say you are likely to blow it due to over current. I would suggest the R8245 Sapphire. Which handles a higher current.

To

convert it, you need to insulate both brush springs with a sleeve as per one side now, then connect orange and grey to them. One side pickups are in fact direct from axle to chassis so connect one of red and black to the tag screwed under the back of the motor

and the other to the pickup wire. Discard all electronic components.

For full instructions, do a forum search on X04.

A Saphhire decoder or similar rated for 1 Amp continuous plus, will be required for the old Tri-ang/Hornby R.152 Diesel 08 shunter as the old X.03/04 can draw more current than the bog standard decoder can handle.

The old Tri-ang body for the R.152

survives in the range today as Devious Diesel in the Thomas range but is fitted with the more modern SSPP and cheap can motor arrangement.

Archived