decoder help

Bunsen

I have just purchased a 1 amp ,4 function 21 Pin decoder for my new loco.

When on the programming track the light flash on and the loco moves slightly when programming . I have programmed in the new loco number but when I place the loco on the main

line it will only run on the default of 3 and no functions working.

I have taken a chip out of another loco to try in the new loco and that one works the loco fine.

I have tried reseting the decoder default by writing 08 to cv8.

I have tried reading

the primary address cv1 but it reads 255 and not 3 or the loco number I want to program.

Is the decoder faulty?

Is there anything else I can try?

The decoder is blue box manufacturer and I am using Elite.

Thanks in anticipation of any ides?

Not all decoders are fully NRMA compliant, including some of the older Hornby ones. The Hornby Elite controller is NRMA compliant so can not always to program these older decoders. Have you updated your elite controller to the latest version of the operating

system? This can resolve some of the programming problems.

Bunsen, a read of 255 actually means it is not reading anything at all. I would check to make sure your programming track is clean along with the loco wheels and that the pickups are properly adjusted, even though it works with another decoder. That will

eliminate a poor connection. Failing that, you likely have a faulty decoder, so return for replacement.

Thanks Fishmanoz, just checked the basics like you suggested I have cleaned the programming track and also found two bent pick -ups on tender(decoder is in tender) .Have tried again and now chip is working and loco programmed to number I wanted.

I

clean main track very frequently but never think to clean programming track ,will remember for future. Cannot thank you enough.Cheers.

Archived