Hornby R3082 Hogwarts Express DCC is the Light switchable?

as365n4

Hi all,

I've got an Hogwarts Loco with an 8 Pin DCC socket in which I've put the small Hornby DCC Decoder.

But now the Light in the smoke box door stays permanent on!

Is this light not switchable (on/off) like on any other DCC Loco?

Is

there a switch that isn't mentioned in the service sheet to select Analog or DCC funtion of this Light?

It bothers me a lot that this front light on my Hogwarts Loco is always on!

The light is designed to work with the loco running DC or DCC. To do this, it is connected directly to the loco track pickups, via a small rectifier board and is an LED. On DC, it will light only when the loco is running. On DCC, it is lit all of the time.

It is a relatively simple job to change it to be like usual DCC directional lighting. You can remove its connection from the rectifier board and instead connect it to a decoder function output. Then you will be able to switch it on and off at will.

And if you connect it to the white function wire, it will only operate when the loco is going forward as white is set up as the forward directional lighting function. Take a look at http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/DCC.html#Decoder_1 to see exactly how to do

it. Remember you will have to disconnect the LED connections from that board mounted in the top of the boiler before you start.

Thank you very much for the explanation.

Time to get the soldering iron out and correct things Hornby isn't able to do right from the start, it's a bit anoying.

Other manufacturers can do this proper right from the start, why not Hornby?

@ Fishmanoz

I had an original Hogwarts DC Loco which I chiped my self and I replaced it with the Modelzone Special edition because of its DCC readiness.

As Hornby did the job of overhauling the innards of the Castle Class Locos to accommodate

DCC Chips they could have done the job right, so that this light works like on any other DCC ready Locomotive.

It isn't a good approach to let the customer finish of the DCC modification job, it's just bad Design and Quality by them!

@ walkingthedog

I'm

not anti Hornby, but I've had 5 Products from them and all of them are not thought through and engineering wise half wise done.

I have a Class 92 which isn't able to pull any wagons because the Loco is too light and utilizes traction tyres to gain any movement

and to be honest the Loco is barely able to move its self. I'm looking for a solution on this one for months now.

Then I have a Class 395 the white London 2012 version, on which I had to replace the axle with the traction tyres against a full metal wheel

axle so that this unit moves as it should be.

I had an Hornby Select Controller which liked to grill my DCC Chips because this thing is not in compliance with NMRA Standards.

Then this Trackmaster Software Disaster followed by a Railmaster Software Disaster.....

The

only thing that keeps me believing in Hornby and their products is my Royal Train Set (the deluxe one in the big red box) with the Princess Margaret Rose Loce and the superb HM2000 analog Controller.

Normally I buy European Continental Models and some

times from the Company with the big B.

Therefore I am used to really high quality models and have very high expectations and standards regarding my models which Hornby doesn't seems to able to full fill.

Thats it dead simple.

Because as you said in

my very limited spare time I just want to enjoy my trains and run them around my layout and not bother with half finished doggy products.

Oh no the blue box company does fine for me, have around 15 Locos/DMUs from them.

Mostly irish Class 141, Class 071, Class 201 Locos and 2 sets of Class 2700 DMUs plus a Stobart Class 66 which is really a work horse pulls a fully loaded 16 Container

wagon train without a blink of an eye and a nice tiny Class 03 Shunter. And some wagons & coaches from them of course.

But all my other stuff comes from Continental Europe...

• 1 year later...

I'm on the same page as the OP on this one having just received the Hogwarts.

The "rectifier board" has EIGHT wires, two going to the LED and 6 from the main loco. This tells me its doing more than just lighting up the LED, so does anyone have the schematic/connection detail for this PCB?

I'm on the same page as the OP on this one having just received the Hogwarts.

The "rectifier board" has EIGHT wires, two going to the LED and 6 from the main loco. This tells me its doing more than just lighting up the LED, so does anyone have the schematic/connection detail for this PCB?

I'm sure if you phoned HCC and spoke to them about your project they would let you have the details you need to modify your Hog. There must be a schematic in their system as part of the loco design process. They may be willing to extract from that for you.

HCC are very helpfull just don't email them if you want a rapid response due to thier well advertised (on this forum) workload.

A further alternative, (although I don't think it is part of his job and shouldn't be seen as a routine queue jump method), is to ask Adam the Forum Admin to help, as he has progressed things that got stuck in the CC pipeline before for people.

No SOT. Sanda Kan did make Hornby products. They were bought by the B Team, but the B Team's products were made in a different factory. Kader closed the Sanda Kan factory and manufacturing was moved to one where the workers were not familiar with model railway products.

Hornby now use different suppliers with no connection to Kader.

I agree with you on this one.

As part of the conversion to DCC ready, they should have rewired the front light to the correct pin on the DCC socket, and not left it connected directly to the track pick ups. By doing so it then would operate correctly: with DC it comes on only when the train is running, and with DCC it can be controlled (correctly) by the on / off function, so you can then decide whether it is on or off when the loco is running or stationary on DCC track.

I think this is a sloppy rework by Hornby, no DCC ready or fitted loco should have the lights effectively wired by-passing the decoder.

So you are suggesting that for DCC ready the light doesn't work on DC?  

Working from track on DC and decoder function on DCC isn't simple. It would require further complication in the already complicated board for the light to include some electronic switching. 

• 1 year later...

365 I got bored at moan number 4 so didn't read the rest. Get a life.

I have a Blue Rapier Class395 with standard fit traction tyres/solid wheels and it runs ok on DCC after conversion.

My Hornby stuff is as WTD says not perfect, but if you can find perfect these days then send me the address.

You seem to get on well with Bachmann stuff so why not ditch all your Hornby stuff and this forum and migrate over there - happy days when it comes to finding their forum (which forum) as useful as this one.

Archived