Motorised Points help

mjk911

Hi, i am new to model railways (although i did kind of have a set when i was a kid) and after recently being brought a pack with the e-link system i am looking to get a decent layout set up. I recently bought a couple of motorised points, the ones that

sit on the top of the layout, and a switch for changing it. I set it up as stated on the pack but when i try and change points it tries to change it but fails. It seems like there is not enough power running to it and the motor cant quite change the points.

Is this because it doesn't work on the DCC layout? I do want to get an accessory decoder but the hornby one is not going to be available for a long time and i'm not sure which one to get. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

To operate a point by using switches you should really be using a separate power supply. A point motor takes about 3 - 4 amps which is far too much to take from the elink.

The alternative is to operate the points digitally via a stationary decoder

such as the R8247 accessory decoder, although these are like hen's teeth at the moment.

I had exactly the same problem (though I was using the 16V AC supply from a conventional controller). The solution was to get a Capacitor Discharge Unit. (not sure if Hornby make them but there are several manufacturers that do). These give a momentary

boost to the current (?) going to the motor allowing it to switch. Mine can change two points simultaneously and up to four (at a push) though you will need to wait a second or two for the capacitors to charge between each operation.

Also, does your

point switch one way and not the other. If this is the case the motor might be on the limit of its travel one way and not enough on the other.

It is confusing for those with less experience to post incorrect information.

You should not use a CDU to operate motorised points. (In any case the pulse width may not be long enough)

You do not need a seperate CDU to operate solenoid point

motors when operating via a DCC decoder, as the CDU is built into the decoder.

It is however recommended to have at least a 4 amp power supply, as already stated.

This certainly is getting confusing now as the discussion is jumping between DC and DCC operation of the points.

Let's just finish of the DC switch discussion before going to DCC.

For a start, solenoid motors like the Hornby ones require

a relatively high current pulse to operate. To operate them using the passing contact switch arrangement, you cannot use your DCC track supply, a separate supply is needed. Try operating from a separate supply only for a start. They should work with just the

switch. However, if the separate supply is low current, it may be necessary, and I emphasise may, to add a separate CDU. It would seem low current is mjk's problem and a CDU may help.

Now to answer the second part of the question, and we are on the

DCC forum after all. There has been recent coverage in here and on the RM forum of 4 different brands of decoder that can be used and operate fine with Hornby DCC controllers. They are by DCC Concepts, Digirail, ESU Switchpilot and Traintronics.

One

type of the first, and the last, are not for solenoid point operation. However,the ADS-8 by the first, and the other two, are for solenoids. Hattons is selling the ESU at a good price and calling it an 8247 replacement. And after initial problems, it seems

the programming of this one have been resolved. So you choice on one that suits you.

• 3 months later...

[reply]Rog (RJ) said:

To operate a point by using switches you should really be using a separate power supply. A point motor takes about 3 - 4 amps

Hi Guys, I am really new to all this. My son got the Flying Scotsman set for his birthday

and we are well on the way with the base board finished and couple of extensions packs added.

Looking to add some accessories, I think to start with motorising the points. I understand the set-up except where to get the seperate power supply from? There

is not an output on the Standard Controller, can you take a supply off the track locally to the points-motor or would it need a completley seperate supply, from from a dedicated older style 965 controller dedicated to powering accessories.

After some

searching I am considering getting the DCC Accessory Decoder, but still cannot get my head around the accessory power supply.

Thanks

GJ

Hi GJ, welcome to the forums.

Can I start by asking whether your FS is DCC fitted, or just DCC ready? I ask as you wouldn't run points DCC unless you are running the locos too. In fact many run their locos DCC and still run their points DC with

passing contact switches. The imperative for DCC control of accessories is if you want to end up using computer control of the whole layout, like with Railmaster.

Yes, if your controller, DC or DCC, doesn't have an auxiliary output for accessory control,

you need a completely separate supply. One that some use is an old laptop supply. They have a suitable voltage. Or you could use a separate train controller as long it is always turned up to maximum as at least 12 Volts will be needed to operate the point

motors.

Thanks Fishmanoz!

The FS is only DCC Ready.

Don't want to have compter control for the whole layout, maybe in time but a long way off.

With a seperate power supply and a main loop (bus?) around the baseboard I could take-off feeds

where needed, two sets of points at the moment, more to follow.

Have done more searching and this is starting to make sense. Is there an beginners guide online or could you reccomend a book I could buy.

Thanks again.

GJ

Archived