p-c-o pls-135 stationery decoder

HFM

Has anyone tried to programe one of these peco smartswitch decoders.I have spent the best part of 2 days and still got nowhere. Not sure if it is me or rm not recognising it.any help would be very much appreciated

Fuwe, welcome to the forums. Can I just say before I answer your question, that one of the most valuable contributors we have here is Hornby Rsilmaster Support, HRMS, themselves. However, if I were them, I might be less inclined to help you then some others,

for the obvious reason.

Back to your question, can we assume that you have eLink set up, RM installed and running as Administrator, updated to the latest v1.55, set to the correct com port, and proven working as it is changing DCC loco addresses on

the programming track and running the locos on their new addresses on your layout?

Given that it is all working, programming the PLS-135 should be simple. First connect it up as per the manual. Just select a point in RM, press and hold the push button

on the 135 until it flashes green, throw the point and you are done. Output 4 will be set to that point number, and outputs 3,2,1 to the next consecutive higher addresses. And this is clearly done on the track, not the programming track.

Is this what

you did? How far did you get and what did you see?

Just on one thing in the manual - it suggests programming output 4 to a multiple of 4. I suggest you don't, rather do it to a multiple of 4 plus 1. The reason is it will then give addresses that are

compatible with the group addressing conventions of other decoders its obvious if you start with your multiple as zero, your point addresses will be 1,2,3,4.

For other forum users, the PLS-135 is part of seemingly complicated arrangement of 3 circuit

boards. The main board is designed to run 4 servo motor point motors, plus frog switching and route indicator LEDs. The second board programs the position speed and throw details for the servo motors (must be done by this arrangement and not under DCC setup

as far as I can see), and the 3rd board is the PLS-135 used for DCC address programming only. It uses the increasingly common method of putting it in programming mode, throwing the desired point and it's done for all 4 ports.

Hi,

Servos are being discussed regularly on various forums now and are being used more often for activating signals and crossing gates etc...

I hope Hornby are planning to introduce a DCC servo control unit soon ? as I for one hope to use some servos

on my layout

( I would prefer to keep all my DCC electronics within the Hornby brand)...

P.

Fishmanoz said:

Fuwe, welcome to the forums. Can I just say before I answer your question, that one of the most valuable contributors we have here is Hornby Rsilmaster Support, HRMS, themselves. However, if I were them, I might be less inclined

to help you then some others, for the obvious reason.

Back to your question, can we assume that you have eLink set up, RM installed and running as Administrator, updated to the latest v1.55, set to the correct com port, and proven working as it is

changing DCC loco addresses on the programming track and running the locos on their new addresses on your layout?

Given that it is all working, programming the PLS-135 should be simple. First connect it up as per the manual. Just select a point in RM,

press and hold the push button on the 135 until it flashes green, throw the point and you are done. Output 4 will be set to that point number, and outputs 3,2,1 to the next consecutive higher addresses. And this is clearly done on the track, not the programming

track.

Is this what you did? How far did you get and what did you see?

Just on one thing in the manual - it suggests programming output 4 to a multiple of 4. I suggest you don't, rather do it to a multiple of 4 plus 1. The reason is it will

then give addresses that are compatible with the group addressing conventions of other decoders its obvious if you start with your multiple as zero, your point addresses will be 1,2,3,4.

For other forum users, the PLS-135 is part of seemingly complicated

arrangement of 3 circuit boards. The main board is designed to run 4 servo motor point motors, plus frog switching and route indicator LEDs. The second board programs the position speed and throw details for the servo motors (must be done by this arrangement

and not under DCC setup as far as I can see), and the 3rd board is the PLS-135 used for DCC address programming only. It uses the increasingly common method of putting it in programming mode, throwing the desired point and it's done for all 4 ports.

hi done all that you say and as the manual also says also running as Administrator. i get to the flashing led on the decoder throw a point in rm and nothing led stops flashing and then nothing.at this point rm drops all coms with other acc decoders and

locos.do a reset and still no joy.i then close down rm unplug elink wait a few mins then restart .at this point rm will work for 10 mins then drop coms again.also removed pe-o decoder from dcc bus and still having com problems. this morning on first start

up all locs now running in reverse.any ideas thanks

I've not tried to program one using RM but I can tell you they work ok. I am using the ANE version as I bought them before peco picked them up. I found them easy to program using thier own buttons and believe it or not, with the Hornby select controller.

I am sure hornby will eventually support the smartswitch, they really have to support as many 3rd party products as they can if they want to become a serious player in the DCC market. So far I have not been overly impressed with the elink because of it's unreliability

to obtain and maintain a connection with the pc and also the rather too frequent software crashes (on my windows 8 laptop). Saying that, if they can fix these problems and add support for more 3rd part products then it could actually be a good product and

a good way into DCC.

Del, if you are having reliability problems with eLink and RM, suggest you email RM Support from within the Help window of RM. It should not be as you describe.

Also, you don't need to find the decoder in the drop down list for it to work in RM.

Suggest you just use the 8247 and set it up with the addresses you have already put into it and it will be fine. You will have to change the pulse length to what is set in the 135 I think. And you should be able to program them this way too.

Well I was going to bite my tongue but can't!

First of all it's clear to me that Hornby, sensibly and fairly, don't, in spite of what people seem to continually ruminate, always have a problem with competitor products, especially when they are used

in conjunction with Hornby products. In addition some of these competitor products are designed into RailMaster software, and Hornby themselves have given advice on how to use them.

Secondly, I have to say my experience with Hornby support has not been

positive. On one query I never received a reply (other than the automatic mail), in spite of a reminder.

When I had problems with the Elite upgrade, once they ran out of ideas the e-mails just stopped.

Finally, while I appreciate they were gracious

enough to offer assistance with my query about a ba***ann loco decoder, again the e-mail replies stopped when they ran out of ideas....though they did try to call me when they knew I had sorted the issue! I missed their call, so mailed the solution. I didn't

even get an acknowledgment, let alone any thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

In answer to the original question, I have managed to get this working. To test it I disconnected the dcc supply to layout and wired it straight into the smartswitch decoder. I operated point #1 on Railmaster mimic and then pressed the programming button

on the PLS135 decoder. All 4 servos then worked by operating the first 4 points on the Railmaster mimic. This particular layout was setup using the standard Hornby accessory decoder and I did not need to alter the settings for the smartswitch. One thing though,

the Auto/Manual switch must be switched on for the dcc operation or alternatively wire a shorting link across the "USER" terminals. Reprogramming to a different address was carried out after the test. As Fishman says, "use N+1 for the address".

I hope that

helps.

Thanks drb almost given up on these tried everything you suggested wired straight in to elink set auto/manual on then tried to programme decoder nothing happend again, then I put a link on the user terminals pressed the learn button threw a point in rm

and hey presto it all works fine.so thank you very very much for your advise

Fishmanoz said:

Hi HFM, I'm a little unclear as to what you have done differently to 25 days ago when you said this didn't work. What extra was needed?

the xtra thing I tried was to put a link across the user terminals

as suggested by drb59 without the link I could not get them to work at all.i havd reread the p.e.c.o manual and cannot find any reference to the link regarding dcc operation also if I remove the link they stop working.

The subtlety of this link might have been missed by others contemplating using the Smartswitch. By connecting a switch across these terminals it is possible to change from "local" switch control to "remote" dcc control e.g. Railmaster. This is particularly

useful if the Smartswitch is used for point motors. Up to now, using other systems you would have to use diodes etc, if you wanted two independent methods of point control. It would be great for testing or those occasions where you just wanted to use your

Elite instead of powering up your PC to Run Railmaster.

I've got a feeling I haven't explained this clearly, so please don't hesitate to interrogate me for further clarification.

Hi,

I find this very complicated & not that easy to follow, with too many potential difficulties if trying to use other makes of accessory decoders for servos within Railmaster/Elite setup. That is why I mentioned earlier in this thread, that if only

Hornby would extend its range of accessory decoders to include a servo decoder - then things would be easy !! and would work properly.

I would be inclined to go out and buy a few to move my signals, shed doors, gates etc, knowing that the decoders would

work as they were designed to be used within the Hornby DCC system.

Oh well, I can only wish...

Archived