Hornby Turntable - R070

RDS

@Fishmanoz

Thank you for your response. Sorry for the late reply. We have been to the Lake District in Cumbria for a few days.

I don't think I missed the point. I don't like IRJ's so I prefer to gap the connected outlet.

As I stated in my

post, I intend to use one of the out-lets that has been subject to the polarity swop (I actually said voltage swop by mistake) and connect it to the other side of my loop. (This would normally require an RLM, but I will pick one of the out-lets that has had

the polarity swopped by the turntable.)

As far as I can determine this will be OK.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi RDS, caution! IRJ's or gapped rail will not prevent a DCC short circuit if the outlet track does not match the 'polarity' of the bridge rails (the supply to the bridge rails). That is because the loco when traversing the 'gap' will, in effect, provide

the short circuit.

All of the previous information relates to track circuit cross connection in a static situation, but if a loco spans tracks with different 'polarity' the loco will provide the short circuit. This is why the outlet polarity from the turntable

must match the input and the bridge polarity c/o has to be matched.

@Blackbird

OK, I understand, as pointed out by Fishmanoz above.

Actually, after all this, due to the layout required I have now decided NOT to proceed with any intention to use the outlets for this purpose and the only connection to the main track

is via the inlet rail, gapped between the brass contacts and the turntable bridge.

All the outlets I have used, just get power when they are lined up with the turntable. This suits me fine.

• 2 years later...

Forgive me if I am overlooking something, but while I understand the need to isolate the brass contact from the inlet rail from the rails on the rotating rails, does that particular "road" have to be used as the inlet?  I'm planning on using one of the "out roads" as my "in road" (with IRJs between the special track and the rest of the layout) - apart from anything else, the way my baseboard and the rest of the layout is, using the road with the contacts would make it nigh on impossible for the little man to get from the station complex to his control hut -wiring the feed to the rotating rails to the power bus, which will then power any sidings it's aligned to.  I'm hoping to start on this phase of the layout in the next couple of days so that I can get some more baseboard constructed (it's a deep u shape - or will be!) 

Silver, I see that you have already seen this following post (as you have posted in it). But for others that may not, I have included it below in support of my reply to your question.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/r070-hornby-turn-table-to-dcc-including-images/?p=1

On the fourth image down. Two wires are shown on the underside. These are the wires that connect the inlet track to the rotating bridge track. If you cannot use the designated inlet track as your TT inlet, then you could disconnect these wires (at the outer edge) and extend them via some added wires to the track piece that you do want to use as the inlet track. In the absence of manufactured rail contacts at the alternative inlet. You would have to solder these extended wires to the outside rails of the inlet.

I would also review the suggested use of IRJs and track isolation techniques in the above post above and compare against your intended solution.

If anybody intends to control the R070 Hornby TT via RailMaster, then also review this previous post as well.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/r070-turntable-configuration-in-railmaster/?p=1

Apologies Silver.....whatever for.....I'm not aware of anything you have said that warrants an apology. You asked a perfectly valid question about inlet connectivity.

Archived