class 29

briantaylor501

hi guys
recently was lucky enough to come across a second hand but untouched class 29, now being dcc myself like many i have to make mistakes to learn!!! i know how to solder a dcc chip in bt however there is only one wire from the ringfield bogie
to the unpowered one which is normally the black wire and off course the orange and grey get soldered to the capacitator however where does the red wire go cos theres no wire on the powered bogie !!!! calling all older hands here !!!its alovely loco and have
just weathered it and fitted flush glazing and just waiting on a roof grille mesh and possibly discs for the front . im very surprised hornby does nt bring back this model actually its a very unique class

Most Margate made ringfields used the chassis block as a common return, there is usually a little cast pin that makes contact with one brush terminal and a continutiy wire that runs from the chassis to the brush terminal that side of the motor. The wire

has to be unclipped and the pin insulated by bending the brush terminal end tab slightly away from the pin to provide an air gap, the brush clip end is then insulated with a piece of heatshrink.

I then cut off one end of the continuity wire and attach

it the Black decoder wire, the other end being clipped or screwed back onto the chassis. The red wire going to the other pickup wire would normally clip onto the other side brush clip of the motor(Don't Clip the red wire onto the brush holder).

Then

the motor control wires Grey and Orange are connected, Orange to the righthand motor contact, Grey to the left hand contact.

The Blue wire is the common feed for accessories, and the other wires control functions. All wires are listed in the decoder

pack when you buy a decoder.

All wire connections are heat shrink insulated.

DON'T FORGET TO USE ANTI-STATIC HANDLING EQUIPMENT IF YOU WANT YOUR DECODER TO HAVE A LONG AND TROUBLE FREE LIFE.

Archived