Electro-Uncouplers?

RDS

St1ngr4y said:

Hi PJ,
The under-track option consists of 2 pieces - a permanent magnet and a steel intensifier. Together they seem to be the thickness you describe. The other option, which I use, is a magnet which sits between the running

rails above the sleepers, and its top is level with the top of the rail. Have a look at their website www.kadee.com
Ray

Hi Ray

Correct me if I am wrong, are you referring to; HO Scale - Coupler NO.5

Having never done this, I

am not sure, are they push fit or screw fit. I guess the other question is are the easy to fit.

And the Magne magnets I think are: Delayed Uncouplers #308 HO thru O-Scale - “Under-the-Track” Permanent Delayed Magnet, am I on the right track?

I

guess if I choose to do this I am best to do all carriages and locos, or initially or passenger or all goods couplers. Then do the uncoupler Magne magnets siding by siding.

This will require a new main supply with its own transformer and a panel of

push buttons to active the uncouplers. Does the above seem right to you? The system does look good, have you found it to be as good as described?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I mentioned earlier, the difficult ones are my older stock where the old triang-type coupling had to be surgically removed, and replaced by a Kadee metal whisker coupler which is housed in a snap-together insulated draft gear box. This box is then glued

and/or screwed to the vehicle. The most difficult thing about fixing the replacement is getting the height above the track correct. This measurement has to be quite precise.

The newer vehicles have NEM pockets where the existing coupling can be pulled out

of the pocket, and a replacement Kadee NEM coupling plugged in - simples.

I discounted the electric magnetic version as I couldn't see any advantage in having magnets which had to be switched on and off at the correct times.

I intend to fit Kadee to

all locos. I have 6-coach rakes which I don't intend to uncouple in the middle - no Atlantic Coast Express!! - so the Kadees only need to be on one end of each end coach. So far I have split my goods wagons into small rakes or 3 or 4, keeping the original

couplings between wagons with Kadee on one end only of each end wagon.

Ray

St1ngr4y said:

As I mentioned earlier, the difficult ones are my older stock where the old triang-type coupling had to be surgically removed, and replaced by a Kadee metal whisker coupler which is housed in a snap-together insulated draft

gear box. This box is then glued and/or screwed to the vehicle. The most difficult thing about fixing the replacement is getting the height above the track correct. This measurement has to be quite precise.
The newer vehicles have NEM pockets where the

existing coupling can be pulled out of the pocket, and a replacement Kadee NEM coupling plugged in - simples.
I discounted the electric magnetic version as I couldn't see any advantage in having magnets which had to be switched on and off at the correct

times.
I intend to fit Kadee to all locos. I have 6-coach rakes which I don't intend to uncouple in the middle - no Atlantic Coast Express!! - so the Kadees only need to be on one end of each end coach. So far I have split my goods wagons into small rakes

or 3 or 4, keeping the original couplings between wagons with Kadee on one end only of each end wagon.
Ray

Thanks Ray

I will look in to this in more detail as soon as I get a minute ;-)

Archived