Static IP address, is it needed?

Hi folks

My first post and question.

RailMaster advises that a Static IP address is used for communicating to the server.

I had enough trouble trying to get my com port working and I have no idea how to set a static IP address, I can't

see any information on the instruction sheets on how to do this. I have it working and communicating with an ipad and Android Phone using the default IP address on my laptop but the program informs me that the connection may be unstable.

Will I be alright

or safe using this default IP address?

Also the display on the Android Phone is not complete the lower control box is cut off at the bottom and doesn't show the Shunt/Cruise/Stop buttons and I can't scroll it up, any ideas?

Thanks

Hi Tom, welcome to the forums.

HRMS assert that static IP addresses are essential for stable communication to your handheld. The handheld manual has quite comprehensive instructions on how to go about doing this st both ends, server and handheld,

but I agree it is not easy. One thing that is not covered is that the simplest way to do it is to set as static the addresses already assigned by Windows. You can find these by opening a command window and typing the ipconfig command which will tell you all

of the assigned addresses. Use the IPv4 address as the static one to set, and the subnet mask address too. So yes, the default is ok but only when you then set it to static. Good luck.

You are the second person recently with the Android problem so

RM Support needs to be made aware of it. Email them from within the Help window of RM. They are very responsive.

Fishmanoz said:

Hi Tom, welcome to the forums.

HRMS assert that static IP addresses are essential for stable communication to your handheld. The handheld manual has quite comprehensive instructions on how to go about doing this st

both ends, server and handheld, but I agree it is not easy. One thing that is not covered is that the simplest way to do it is to set as static the addresses already assigned by Windows. You can find these by opening a command window and typing the ipconfig

command which will tell you all of the assigned addresses. Use the IPv4 address as the static one to set, and the subnet mask address too. So yes, the default is ok but only when you then set it to static. Good luck.

You are the second person recently

with the Android problem so RM Support needs to be made aware of it. Email them from within the Help window of RM. They are very responsive.

Thank you very much Fishmanoz

For your extremely helpfull reply. I believe I am capable of setting my default IP to static, I believe I can do this by changing the option from "Automatic" in the network settings, I don't feel comfortable doing anything

else.

Tom

Archived