Wren 0-6-0

jacksprat.

Jack, I don't have any Wrenn experience but, irrespective, the principle of fitting a decoder still applies. That means, start by separating the pickup wiring from the motor connections and you can discard any suppression components. Then you must ensure

there is no connection between the motor and the chassis, motor connections must be isolated from everything.

Also, I don't know whether Wrenn has pickups each side or whether one side comes from wheels to axles to chassis. But again, connect one side

pickups to decoder red and other side/chassis to decoder black. Now motor connections go to decoder orange and grey.

That's all there is to it. Test on address 03 before reassembly and programming to your preferred address.

jacksprat. said:

Has anyone had experience in fitting a decoder to a Wren W2232 0-6-0 diesel loco?
As an experiment I fitted a cheep unbranded decoder to the Wren LMS 0-6-2T (not sure how closely related it is to the Diesel shunter

though.

The method I used was the same as would be used for the Triang X04. It works quite well but the control is a bit all or nothing.

If the shunter has the vertical motor housed within a solid chassis (like the original Hornby 0-6-2T you

could have your work cut out trying to isolate the carbon brush which takes it's power from the chassis.

The son of Triangman said:

Yup, isolating the brushes on the old veticle H/D motor requires a fair amount of work alas.

I'm not familiar with the Wren LMS 0-6-2T or the Triang loco but the hornby 0-6-2t seems like the

one that Ive got, pick ups one side only vertical motor housed in the cab brass worm drive and brass final gear drive I would like to convert it because it is a solid heavy engine ideal for shunting up inclines of which there are two in dc mode it pulls nine

coaches up them with out a problem hence why I would like to convert to dcc but I don't want to destroy the motor or decoder in the process so any ideas or guidance would be very welcome Ive only taken the body of and had an in depth look haven't had the bottle

to go any further yet

It can be done but is a long job and very time consuming and may require tapping of screw threads as some H/D concersions do. The brushes must be plastic sleeved so they don't short out on the brass brush holders for starters, there should be no direct

power contact to the motor control wires or shoers or the decoder will go pop, the rest of the conversion is reasonably straight forward. One advantage you have is that it;s a two rail loco which makes life easier.

However it would be easier to just

buy the ex-D.pol model made by Hornby (China) which Hornby still make at times and making DCC.

The son of Triangman said:Thanks for the latest info triangman it does seem to be a very complex job but I am lucky in that my brother is an electronics engineer and I will call on his services to look into the possible conversion.
Graskie

I will take you up on the offer of a bottle but a full one I can drink it whilst watching the conversion being done I hope I will of course tell everyone who has kindly donated there experience to this matter when and if the conversion is complete. I just

feel if I buy one as you suggest it takes all the fun out of it.

It can be done but is a long job and very time consuming and may require tapping of screw threads as some H/D concersions do. The brushes must be plastic sleeved so they don't short out

on the brass brush holders for starters, there should be no direct power contact to the motor control wires or shoers or the decoder will go pop, the rest of the conversion is reasonably straight forward. One advantage you have is that it;s a two rail loco

which makes life easier.

However it would be easier to just buy the ex-D.pol model made by Hornby (China) which Hornby still make at times and making DCC.

Jack, just on posting, if you put your content somewhere outside those 2 replies in square brackets, it won't come out looking like yours above but instead like yours higher up at 15.50. Or just hit Post Reply instead of Reply to someone's post.

Some people get even more clever, they put in extra square bracket replies so they can have a little bit of someone' spots, then their comment, then more of the post, more of theirs etc.

Can be useful at times but often repeating what someone said

just takes up real estate pages here without adding much. We have some really long multi-page threads as a result. Then again, others like to make sure we know what they are replying to, everyone is different.

Archived