Improving class 08 shunter with sound

Class_of.66

Hi I have a raifreight version class 08 shunter with sound, I love this model but its prone to sound dropouts,suggesting connectivity issues.I want to improve the pickups by placing small tension springs to ensure constant contact and possibly adding a bit of lead weight inside etc.Has anyone any tips on improving the contacts to the wheels,to avoid these dropouts?

Thanks

I too have one of these temperamental models.  Everything about it seems hit-or-miss.  Sometimes it works, sometimes not, sometimes it runs well, then stops for no apparent reason and the sounds just make it worse.  I'm not sure that I want to fit a staying alive device to a pre-fitted decoder, especially as the issues are, in my experience, considerable.  Are there any other solutions out there ?

• 4 months later...

I too have one of these temperamental models. Everything about it seems hit-or-miss. Sometimes it works, sometimes not, sometimes it runs well, then stops for no apparent reason and the sounds just make it worse. I'm not sure that I want to fit a staying alive device to a pre-fitted decoder, especially as the issues are, in my experience, considerable. Are there any other solutions out there ?

Replying to my own question, I noticed that a thorough cleaning of a section of track gave much improved sound (after lowering the volume as well). Having purchased a CMX track cleaner and run it around my layout a few times - result: perfect sound!

Thanks for the replies guys, just out of curiosity has anyone used the esu stay alive power pack,which complements the installed sound chip on the loco? any experience of this item? cheers.

I have a Class 08 shunter, and it's the only one of my locos which has a stay-alive installed. I can achieve extremely realistic slow speed shunting operations over points. The rare times I have a problem is when I intentionally stop the loco, and it just happens to stop on a dirty bit of track.

Ray

Archived