Running Railmaster on a Mac under Parallels 9

Could anyone help please - have tried Hornby and basically they can't.

I am trying to run Railmaster on an iMac running Mavericks OS utilising Parallels 9 emulator and Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit software. Railmaster has installed fine and updated, but I cannot activate it.

My firewalls allow access by exclusion, etc.

Hornby advise that there are people achieving what I am trying to achieve so fingers crossed it's a simple solution and someone can assist.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Thanks for the response.

Sorry - should have added I had it installed on a windows laptop - de-activated it as one should and got a confirmation and then reinstalled it on mac under windows on parallels 9.

I am putting the correct activation code in the 'mac' version but won't activate.

I have spoken with Hornby and they say it is something to do with mac/parallels but don't go any further other than suggesting asking on here as they know others are using it succesully.

RailMaster is not officially supported when run on a non-standard Windows installation and that includes when run on a Mac through a virtual machine such as Parallels.

Having said that, there are many users who are using RailMaster successfully running on a Mac through Parallels.  We are unable to provide specific information relating to Parallels however we do understand that there are security settings within Parallels, above and beyond any Windows security or antivirus software/firewalls that can stop RailMaster from working correctly.  Once these settings are correct, RailMaster seems to work without any issues.

Hello all,

Here are the steps:

1. disable firewall on Mac and virtual machine

2. click "Virtual machine" menu from the Apple menu bar then click "Configure"

3. go to "Hardware" tab, select "Network" from the left pane

4. change setting from Shared Network to "Bridge(default adapter)"

5. Close configuration screen

6. Launch your browser to verify internet connectivity (if internet is working proceed with activating Hornby Railmaster)

7. Re-enabled firewall on Mac and virtual machine.

Hope it helps! :)

• 6 months later...

We have made some notes on this issue so that we can provide more assistance to Mac users running RailMaster under Parallels.

I followed above advice and software registered fine and it told me I now had a full copy. However next time I opened rail master it reverted to evaluation copy. When I tried to register it reported software already activated?

any ideas?

This answer might only make sense to parallels users but I think I have sorted problem. 

Not use to using windows for some years I installed parallels on my mac by using the transport function to port it from an old windows laptop. I now realise that the windows laptop was installing programmes to a D drive by default rather than c: . I think that by porting from the old laptop i had in effect created a d: drive installation for railmaster. Other posts suggest that this wont work because of the (slightly odd) way railmaster works. 

I reached this conclusion when I tired railmaster on old windows laptop and got same problems.

I am now rebuilding old laptop to only have a c drive.....took me ages to find old windows disks lol.....and feel confident this will work! fingers crossed.

After proof of concept on windows laptop I will then try and port it all back to mac but only after i have got it running on laptop.....all great fun!

I will post again if and when I get this one cracked

• 7 months later...

Hello all,

Here are the steps:

1. disable firewall on Mac and virtual machine

2. click "Virtual machine" menu from the Apple menu bar then click "Configure"

3. go to "Hardware" tab, select "Network" from the left pane

4. change setting from Shared Network to "Bridge(default adapter)"

5. Close configuration screen

6. Launch your browser to verify internet connectivity (if internet is working proceed with activating Hornby Railmaster)

7. Re-enabled firewall on Mac and virtual machine.

Hope it helps! :)

This solved my activation problems. Thanks!

Archived