Sounding off

Graskie

I thought I'd set up this thread because, although there have been some occasional and scattered posts on the forum about this facet of DCC control, there doesn't appear to be a specific thread.

I generally only buy sound locos nowadays, often with lights, smoke etc. I really enjoy them but have the odd problems from time to time.

What sound locos do you have and do you have any problems with them that this forum can perhaps resolve? I myself have learned quite a few lessons from here and am grateful for that. Anything in this respect that you would like to be helped with?

Have you come across any problems with notching up and down of sounds on a diesel loco using a Loksound v4 decoder?

I have a Class 25 loco with the above, and I run all of my trains using programs in Railmaster. It took an awful lot of experimentation with notch up and notch down functions to master their usage, and even now things can go wrong. For example, with the train having stopped at the station, the engine sometimes is still revving away at full blast. Also, occasionally having parked the loco in a siding and hit the sound on/off function to 'power down' the loco, instead of going through its normal wind down sound sequence, the sound just cuts off immediately.

Ray

If it's any consolation I sometimes have the same problem.  I have loksound 4 on class 67 and like you I find the notch up/down a bit random, and sometimes shutdown is immediate silence rather than gradual wind down.  The randomness gets to me, I cannot find a consistent set of actions that make it work.  On the other hand I have a class 153 dmu which works perfectly with loksound 4.  I have not got to grips with the almost infinite number of CV settings on these decoders and there's always a thought in the back of my mind that there's some magic setting that will make it work consistently!  Overall though I am well pleased with loksound, but I haven't tried any other sound decoders.

Archived