Sound Decoder

akhlas_m

Hi,

I have just bought a locomotive with DCC fitted but no sound decorder. I am planning to install the sound decorder myself. However, I am not sure if I need to take off the DCC fitted decoder and just use sound decoder, guessing that it will give sound and rest DCC functionality? or should I keep DCC fitted decoder and add top of it sound and light decoders?

Thanks

Ak 

You just replace the existing non-sound decoder, but don't forget to fit a speaker as well, of course. The sound decoder can perform other functions such as lights. Do you really feel skilled enough to do this? Are you thinking of a dedicated sound decoder already set up for a specific loco or are you thinking about fitting a blank one and programming it yourself?

I must add that the sound decoders are larger than the non-sound ones, so you also need to ensure that it can fit inside your loco. There are several types of pin arrangements to bear in mind as well, 8 pin and 21 pin being the more usual ones, meaning that needs to be checked as well. What loco are you actually looking at anyway? Details of that might enable further comment from others who have managed to do what you want to. I must admit, I myself have never actually attempted doing so. I buy my locos already sound-fitted, not fancying trying to carry out that sort of work.

I was reading just today, in the latest Hornby Magazine Annual, about fitting sound into a Hornby Schools locomotive. Hornby did produce a "Sound" Schools class a while back, and it would appear that the tender in the current models, has space to fit a "Sugarcube" speaker. I have to say it did look fairly straightforward. Also the latest Hornby Magazine has an article about fitting sound into DoG.

Archived