E-Link - No power to the Track ??

Railway_Ron

E-Link - No power to the Track??

I received a Hornby set with an E-Link for Christmas. I have managed to set it up working fine from my laptop (running Windows Vista) even had four sets of points and to signal lights working from it. It's really good when it's all running.   Now for some reason the E-link has stopped supplying power to the track.  Upon initial start-up the E-Link sends a small burst of power through the track.  I know this as I have a light up electricians screwdriver connected to the track.  After the start-up all appears in working order, my railmaster indicates that the DCC controller is active, put no power to the track. I have been in contact with Hornby customer support several times via email, checked and done everything they recommended, but they have stopped responding to me.  Has anyone any ideas what may be wrong.

If anyone suggests a possible fault here we may be covering ground that Hornby themselves have at least attempted to solve.

What we need really is some detail, although not lengthy, as to what Hornby have already suggested to you. In that way we can save repeating those possible fixes like... checking wiring to the track etc...

Thre may be one thing they didn't get you to do... remove the connecting wires from the track and place a bulb or your screwdriver, if you like, directly to the wiring from the Elink unit itself. See if any intermittent issue crops up thus eliminating the track etc.

When you say Hornby customer support, do you mean HCC contacted by email from this website down the bottom of this page on the right or RM Support via the email function in the Help window of RM.  You should use the latter. 

Another thought while you are answering as AC suggests, have you been into Device Manager lately to check Windows hasn't changed the com port number on you from that which you have specified in RM Setup?  It has a habit of doing this from time to time without asking. 

Thanks for the comment, it made me think.  Tested the power from the E-Link - Constant OK.  Tested the wires used from E-link to the track OK. Pluged into the Track again no power - Why.  All loco's removed, still no power.  Disconected all point motors and signal lights. (back to basic track)   Power now to all tracks and e-link working again.  

Thanks again for your comment, it made me think about the situation.

If it's all working again then that's great and I am chuffed you tested using my ideas above to help the problem. As Fishy asks though, did you find a short or a loose connection etc? It will be useful to others who read this and have an issue similar to that one to know how it was sorted...

Maybe a point motor was 'jumping' or stuck or whatever from what you say iin your post but it would be great to know...

Augustus,  i don't know what the problem was, I disconected all wires to all point and signal lights and went back to a basic track only. this worked, track powered trains running via e-link. Then I began the process of reconnecting points one at a time and testing, track still live and trains running. I appeared to be some sort of short circuit, but what caused it I have no idea?.

Archived