Backup of RailMaster

I am pleased Backup is built in to RM, something we have asked for and makes sure, from Hornby's point of view only items and folders that need backing up are backed up.

What I was surprised about was I couldn't back up on to the C drive, I understand why as they are forcing the back up on an external source, drive C can fail, but so can the external source!

I have double security on my computer as I have had drives fail in the past  so tend to backup and export data on to selected folders on drive C and have sync software (which is free of charge) that syncs the data on to another external drive as an exact copy of the data saved on the C drive.

This is a good way of working (I think) as it follows the MS format where we already put documents, pictures, downloads, exports, etc etc in selected  folders. The sync gives me two copies not one and is a good safeguard against lost data.

Maybe a wish list for future. So long as it is not saved in the program section on drive C it shouldn't matter where the data is saved/backed up to.

Just tried it again to make sure, it won't let me back up on C drive.

I have changed the location to the Exported folder and put a new folder in that section eg .../Exported/RM BACKUP/  my sync program then automatically syncs that folder to by 2TB external drive, 2 copies and no worries.

It doesn't matter whether I try backup with sample plan or not I get the same error message which is...

You cannot back up data into RailMaster program folder.  You should back up data  onto an external device such as a USB memory stick or network PC.

The new folder is not in the RM program folder.

Thank you for your reply, this is not urgent you have other priorities. I mentioned it so that you are aware. I can move to various folders on C drive, that was why I expected to be able to back up in a selected folder, it just won't allow me to back up on to C drive, I have for now backed up the data else where.

Archived