Windows 8.1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Delete them out of your trash as well and see how you go.

Many thanks

I have deleted the icons and emptied the recycle bin.  

They usually show after a re-start which made me wonder if it was in the registry?

Not sure where Start up programs are in Windows 8.1 either?

We will see how it goes

Thanks again

PJ

No luck

Dead icons on desktop from items uninstalled through Windows?

Delete and they come back

RecycleTrash bin emptied as suggested

I checked start up programs they are not listed there

Never had this problem in any other Windows version?

Any suggestions guys. 

PJ

Kezzapp, don't give up, you will get it fixed.

For a start, it works with 8.1 but make sure you are using the driver in your RM folder, not the standard Windows one.

Now, go to the DCC forum and find the thread near the bottom of the page titled Majestic with ELink. Answer all the questions I have asked there.  If you can't get them all to be yes, email RM Support from within the Help window of RM.  If you don't get an immediate automatic acknowledgement, email them at support@rail-master.com

They will have you up and running in no time.

For a start, it works with 8.1 but make sure you are using the driver in your RM folder, not the standard Windows one.

Now, go to the DCC forum and find the thread near the bottom of the page titled Majestic with ELink. Answer all the questions I have asked there.  If you can't get them all to be yes, email RM Support from within the Help window of RM.  If you don't get an immediate automatic acknowledgement, email them at support@rail-master.com

I Have do idea what is wrong now.

answered yes to all the other posts suggestions,drivers install as per PDF with driver signing fix and windows loads R8214 elite driver but RM not seeing it.

Reboot then windows have issue reloading driver, Comes uo with USB descriptor failure or code 10 device wont start.So i reboot with driver signing disabled and reinstall drivers,windows adds correct info to control panel,once again RM does not see E-link

I have a western master and a majestic which ive seen move for 10 minutes out of 3 days of frustration.Ive tried both boxes(the firmware updater has no drama finding the E-link)

i live in australia so buckleys chance of speaking to support.

I did also notice the drivers are from 2001   really?

answered yes to all the other posts suggestions,drivers install as per PDF with driver signing fix and windows loads R8214 elite driver but RM not seeing it.

Reboot then windows have issue reloading driver, Comes uo with USB descriptor failure or code 10 device wont start.So i reboot with driver signing disabled and reinstall drivers,windows adds correct info to control panel,once again RM does not see E-link

I have a western master and a majestic which ive seen move for 10 minutes out of 3 days of frustration.Ive tried both boxes(the firmware updater has no drama finding the E-link)

Hi kezzapp

Don't worry Hornby is all over the world and there are members on this forum from your country.

HRMS trawl this section of the forum periodically so will come across your message.

If you have read the guide and done everything asked so far, contact them through RM if possible and if not email them at support@rail-master.com  They will see this message so will wait until you contact them.

They may want to access your computer at a mutually agreed time, if so they will let you know, this is perfectly safe.

PJ

Hi

Another issue not related to RM but related to Windows 8.1

I have uninstalled 3 programs in the normal way but it has left icons that go no where on the desktop.

I have right clicked them and deleted them but they come back?

Does anyone know how to get rid of them?

PJ

Many applications leave a resident tag on your system even when you've told them to take a hike, some offer a condolence of 'some files were not deleted, remove them yourself, etc'..

I use an all in one utility from IO-Bits (http://www.iobit.com/?name=iu&ver=4.1.5.24&lan=&to=index -  all free and safe, although they would like you to buy the Pro versions) that comprises a maintenance utility (System Care) and another free download part that is an uninstaller - this latter has the ability to agressively uninstall all the bits that windows leaves behind. The system care utility finds and deletes any leftover shortcuts, orphan registry entries, etc.

Give them a try and if you dont like them aggressively uninstall them using their own utility. Just watch when they ask to install stuff you dont want, just decline them (e.g. toolbars and homepages, etc). It wont affect the basic installation.

Hi kezzapp

Don't worry Hornby is all over the world and there are members on this forum from your country.

HRMS trawl this section of the forum periodically so will come across your message.

If you have read the guide and done everything asked so far, contact them through RM if possible and if not email them at support@rail-master.com  They will see this message so will wait until you contact them.

They may want to access your computer at a mutually agreed time, if so they will let you know, this is perfectly safe.

PJ

So i send a support req thru rm?

Thats the best way?.

Thanks for all the help so far BTW.

Hi RAF

Many thanks, I will take a look. I am always cautious of the junk links are they seem to be on the increase, many cleverly placed to catch a person out.

PJ

Yes they can be PJ.

Often you have to press cancel to decline an unwanted add on. ASK is a persistant pest in this regard.

Hi RAF

Many thanks, I will take a look. I am always cautious of the junk links are they seem to be on the increase, many cleverly placed to catch a person out.

PJ

Yes they can be PJ.

Often you have to press cancel to decline an unwanted add on. ASK is a persistant pest in this regard.

Hi RAF

I agree.  I have downloaded the software mentioned but will not run until maybe tonight has I am working on sorting 4 aspect signalling to try get it to work correctly.

PJ

Hi RAF

PJ

Yes they can be PJ.

Hi RAF

I agree.  I have downloaded the software mentioned but will not run until maybe tonight has I am working on sorting 4 aspect signalling to try get it to work correctly.

PJ

Once installed it will nag you to use it (sad vs smiley faces, etc), but so far I haven't found it screwed anything up in a couple of years use.

You could try reinstalling then uninstall again?

Hi Fishy

My thoughts were the same whilst I was having my tea last night!

I thought of re-installing the software, then removing the desktop icon and then uninstalling which should hopefully do a clean uninstall and not had a dead desktop link left behind. 

I do wonder if it is how Windows 8.1 deals with desktop and apps, as they seem to prefer  us to use apps. The app was cleared no problem.

We will see

PJ

Hi

UPDATE

This is a good piece of software but, it won't remove the two dead icons on the Windows 8.1 desktop???

OptimiserPro and MoboGenie

They were uninstalled correctly

I have deleted them and cleared the trash bin

I have run the software mentioned but they are still there?

This has got me totally baffled.

PJ

Hi PJ... the program Optimizer Pro is MALWARE and should never be installed to any PC. Use Malwarebytes to remove it. Download the free version from malwarebytes.org. When you are about to click FINISH for that install REMOVE the tick from "Enable free trial of Malwarebytes....". This program is one of the best anti malware killers around. I will be posting instructions for download and use of this plus other free software very soon on my own site so keep an eye out for the link. If the icon from Opt. Pro stays on screen after a scan with Malwarebytes then reinstall the dodgy program. Then re-run MB and all will be gone! Trust me.

MoboGenie is an Android app selling proggy... it may be removed by MB also but I have no knowledge of it being spyware so far although I have not researched this one. Follow info above to uninstall if it does not remove icon on the first run of MB (reinstall MoboG then run MB).

Sometimes Windows 8 or 8.1 does not fully remove the desktop icon when a program is removed or after you 'delete' it yourself. It is best here to go to Personalization and use the link to remove desktop icons. If that fails then the program is easily likely to be spy/malware.

Come back with results for me to help further if this fails to do what you wish.

Always be very very very careful with programs which claim to clear up you registry and unwanted programs especially if they free. They can be more trouble than they are worth. They may work for a good while seemingly giving a lot of useful help but they will all eventually catch themselves out with an update or whatever it doesn't recognise and it will attempt to delete it. Been there and got the tee-shirt with others who have installed these things like CCleaner or RegCleaner etc. Waste of space!! They are also classed as spyware...

Hi

UPDATE

This is a good piece of software but, it won't remove the two dead icons on the Windows 8.1 desktop???

OptimiserPro and MoboGenie

They were uninstalled correctly

I have deleted them and cleared the trash bin

I have run the software mentioned but they are still there?

This has got me totally baffled.

PJ

Hi PJ... the program Optimizer Pro is MALWARE and should never be installed to any PC.

Use Malwarebytes to remove it. Download the free version from malwarebytes.org. When you are about to click FINISH for that install REMOVE the tick from "Enable free trial of Malwarebytes....". This program is one of the best anti malware killers around.

I will be posting instructions for download and use of this plus other free software very soon on my own site so keep an eye out for the link. If the icon from Opt. Pro stays on screen after a scan with Malwarebytes then reinstall the dodgy program. Then re-run MB and all will be gone! Trust me.

MoboGenie is an Android app selling proggy... it may be removed by MB also but I have no knowledge of it being spyware so far although I have not researched this one. Follow info above to uninstall if it does not remove icon on the first run of MB (reinstall MoboG then run MB).

Sometimes Windows 8 or 8.1 does not fully remove the desktop icon when a program is removed or after you 'delete' it yourself. It is best here to go to Personalization and use the link to remove desktop icons. If that fails then the program is easily likely to be spy/malware.

Come back with results for me to help further if this fails to do what you wish.

Always be very very very careful with programs which claim to clear up you registry and unwanted programs especially if they free. They can be more trouble than they are worth. They may work for a good while seemingly giving a lot of useful help but they will all eventually catch themselves out with an update or whatever it doesn't recognise and it will attempt to delete it. Been there and got the tee-shirt with others who have installed these things like CCleaner or RegCleaner etc. Waste of space!! They are also classed as spyware...

Hi AC

Thanks for your comments and the link

MoboGenie was in the PC when purchased 

Optimer Pro I installed 8-10 months back, fell for it like many I guess.

I will run the MalwareBytes today and see if it clears them. I will confirm although I will wait a few days, I have deleted them by other means befor and thought all was OK, then they pop back up again.

Many thanks

PJ

Archived