TrainTech 4-aspect signals

St1ngr4y

Having upgraded to 1.56 + ProPack, I have since changed all six of my 4-aspect TrainTech signals on my layout diagram, to use the new Traintech description. Prior to 1.56, I had each signal configured as a pair of 2-aspect icons, each configured as if they were using a R8247 decoder. The pair of icons would have consecutive port addresses e.g. 111/112, the first one to control red/green the second one to control single yellow/double yellow.

Conversion consisted of deleting the second icon (112 in the above example) and re-configuring the remaining icon as a Traintech 4-aspect signal. I did this for all six signals, and I did not configure them with any route or "other point/signal" information. They seemed to be working well and I now had proper 4-aspect icons on the layout diagram. The down side to this was that I have a great many programs which reference the now deleted "second ports". So I have started the long process of changing these references to reflect their new parent port address, and using the commands "signal single yellow" and "signal double yellow" instead of clear and stop.

It was during the changing and testing of one of these programs that I noticed something odd. There is one of the 4-aspects which whatever, change is made to that signal, one of the other 4-aspect signals at the same time changes to single yellow. Now I could understand this if the first signal had an entry in the "other point/signal" field, but it hasn't. I've even deleted and re-created the first signal in the layout diagram, to no avail. I've tried changing the port address of the second signal, and this stopped it being interfered with by operation of the first signal.

Before I report it through the system, has anyone else had similar problems?

Ray

• 5 months later...

The original post I made about a problem with Traintech 4-aspect signals is, I believe, still being looked at by HRMS. In the meantime, I have re-addressed my 4-aspect signals to avoid addresses which are a multiple of 4.

However, a couple of weeks ago, I noticed a strange thing with one of my 4-aspect signals. It appeared to be changing aspect whenever a couple of points were switched. Specifically, the address of the signal is 302 (r&g) and 303 (y&yy). When POINT 46 is switched the signal changes between r&g and when POINT 47 changes, the signal changes between y&yy. I noticed at once that the difference between the addresses of the points and signal was 256, which with my computer background, started alarm bells ringing. I reported this as a fault through the Railmaster support system, but HRMS were unable to re-create the problem. I enlisted the help of PJ, but he too was unable to recreate the fault. It then occurred to me that it could be the Traintech signal itself. What if the signal only allowed addresses of one byte i.e. 1 - 255 ? I looked through the Traintech documentation, both online and the instructions supplied with the signals, but I could not find any mention of the address range allowed in the signals. Finally I contacted DCP and received an answer today:-

We have upgraded the firmware in our signals to support long addresses (over 255) and we are happy to upgrade your signal at no charge. 

If anyone has these signals and want them to have this firmware upgrade, you can send them FAO Andy to:-

DCP Microdevelopments Limited

Bryon Court

Bow Street

Great Ellingham

Norfolk, NR17 1JB

Great Britain

Ray

Well done Ray - I wonder how many pending questions that result will answer for the RM boys.

It would be a shame if they and PJ had possibly been chasing rainbows all this time when the problem lay at TT's door.

Well done Ray - I wonder how many pending questions that result will answer for the RM boys.

It would be a shame if they and PJ had possibly been chasing rainbows all this time when the problem lay at TT's door.

The thing is, I asked PJ to try to recreate the problem and he couldn't, so I suspect his signals, and those being used by HRMS, have the latest firmware version.

Ray

Having received an email from Ray I popped in regarding the update.

Not stopping as it is our 40th Wedding Anniversary today.

Thanks for adding the update on the forum Ray, excellent result and I would agree I probably have the latest firmware, I am sure you purchased yours before I did.  Our tests on my layout included 3x 4 aspect over 256 and as we found all worked correctly as stand alone signals they have to be the newest firmware. 

Sorry RAF, no rainbows, we have just been pushing problems till we get a result, gradually eliminating each element, including at one point considereing eLink and eLite. All credit to Ray, well done.

I have to say, help from David at Train-Tech, (DCP), has always been first class. Nice guy. He told me a month ago they now have RailMaster, eLink and eLite, so they can test their products with the Hornby RM system.

HRMS will be happy this is one item that can be crossed off Ray but, they know there are still at least two outstanding issues, may be more? I started testing again yesterday as we discussed and will update HRMS once I have done so but, not today for obvious reasons.

PJ

Happy Anniversary, PJ, what a pity you are so far behind many of us, who are on the route to 50 years. I wish you both well. john and Heather

Hello young John

Many thanks for your best wishes.  If I hadn't been easily attracted to the the ladies all thosse years ago, I would have been well on the way to the 50's but, I wasn't and I paid for it, big time. 40 years is very good, 42 together and going on 50 now John.   ;o)

I hope you say thank you to Heather and treat her with a nice bottle of red, or what ever she likes (other then you). Sandra and myself wish you well, and many more happy, healthy years together. 

PJ

Happy Anniversary for April. 50 years, where does time go?

Best wishes to your good lady also, we are so lucky and don't tell them enough!   I think?  ;o)

PJ

Thank you PJ - more fortunate than you can ever imagine...

Archived