Sprog and Hornby

keven_4ever

Hi all,

I just bought a Sprog III and would like to use JMRI to control my hornby layout. I have programmed a Hornby loco with Sprog III and DecoderPro, but when use Throttle to start loco, nothing happens, i have powered on track in Decoder Pro of course. Any tips?

Some suggestions...

Have you set the correct locos address number in JMRI?

Is the two track output terminals connected to the rails of the layout?

Do the LEDs illuminate on the SPROG?

Is the green plug in terminal block fully inserted into the SPROG?

Is the power supply feeding the SPROG the correct regulated 12 to 15volt dc type?

Are the four wires to the SPROG correctly terminated and in their correct terminals?

Check if you're using plug-in or power track sections that they are not designed for dc operation? If they are these have an internal capacitor fitted which MUST be removed for DCC working.

Do you have any other DCC control system? If so, disconnect the SPROG track output wires and try the other DCC system. Do the locos move then?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I just bought a Sprog III and would like to use JMRI to control my hornby layout. I have programmed a Hornby loco with Sprog III and DecoderPro, but when use Throttle to start loco, nothing happens, i have powered on track in Decoder Pro of course. Any tips?

Some suggestions...

Have you set the correct locos address number in JMRI?

Is the two track output terminals connected to the rails of the layout?

Do the LEDs illuminate on the SPROG?

Is the green plug in terminal block fully inserted into the SPROG?

Is the power supply feeding the SPROG the correct regulated 12 to 15volt dc type?

Are the four wires to the SPROG correctly terminated and in their correct terminals?

Check if you're using plug-in or power track sections that they are not designed for dc operation? If they are these have an internal capacitor fitted which MUST be removed for DCC working.

Do you have any other DCC control system? If so, disconnect the SPROG track output wires and try the other DCC system. Do the locos move then?

Hi Flashbang,

I finally get Sprog working after reboot sprog, computer and reset factory setting for loco (I don't know which one actually solve the problem). The power supply should be +15V as suggested in JMRI Yahoo group, when use 12V, it is not very stable.

Now my next challege is to use Sprog to control point R8014 pont motor and R8247 accessory decoder. So far, they work in railmaster, but not with Sprog and JMRI. Do you have any experience with this setup or advice?

BR/Keven

Keven

Are you a member of the JMRI forum groups as you will most certainly find all of your Sprog vs JMRI answers there.

You say you have working points through RM (or are they just simulating on screen). If so are you using Sprog or some other controller with RM.

If Sprog is working with RM, then you can say the Sprog and the points are working, so it has to be down to JMRI settings.

Keven

Are you a member of the JMRI forum groups as you will most certainly find all of your Sprog vs JMRI answers there.

You say you have working points through RM (or are they just simulating on screen). If so are you using Sprog or some other controller with RM.

If Sprog is working with RM, then you can say the Sprog and the points are working, so it has to be down to JMRI settings.

Hi RAF96,

Yes, i am member of JMRI group and asked this question in group, but still have not figured out yet.

I successfully get point motor working with RM and Elink. So my problem right now is sprog and JMRI. I have tried different approach, like change the address, someone in JMRI group says some DCC vendor might mess up the address, so it might work by add some offset to the address, so i tried address from 1 to 37 (the address in RM is 1), nothing works. Also tried to create a panel in JMRI with turnout, not work neither.

I am out of mind now, so if you have some more advice, pls let me know.

Hi, so as to stop me being confused, why would you need both. RM,Elink, and SPROG. What am i missing. Surely they both do the same thing. john

Hi Yelrow,

I am a software developer, i am developing a software based on JMRI to control entire layout and some other stuff. RM is not open source, so i can't modify it. Sprog and JMRI are a cheap and easy to control solution for me. I hope this explains it.

Btw, is there any Hornby technique support in this forum? I would like to get specification of R8247, specifically the command sends from command station to change state of point motor. Does anyone know where i can get such detail information? Thank you all.

BR/Keven

Hi Keven,

I've been using this forum for years and I don't think anyone on here has the knowledge you are looking for or if they did would publish it here. You are trying to emulate or improve what Hornby products can already do, which is fine, but this is a Hornby sponsored site and unlikely to provide you with details of the internal workings of proprietary products. Some of what Hornby does is based on published standards; Xpressnet and DCC, but with subbtle variations.

There is a thread on rmweb forum in which some guy is trying to monitor the commands that eLink issues with a view to building his own throttle and control software. That sounds like it would be useful to you. If you google rmweb elink and hornby railmaster you should find it. Hope this helps (unless you are that guy!)

• 8 months later...

Hi

I am looking at E-Link or Sprog 3 and Railmaster v Rocrail.

I know the prices but is there anything I need to know about which I should go for.

I want to run  a 12 ft x 12 ft bedroom oo guage layout with 10-20 points and 5-10 locos.

Sound and lights later.

I am using a pc laptop and would like to add a hand held iphone or android pad.

I think rocrail will track locos in sections and maybe railmaster doesnt? Voice recognition looks tempting in Railmaster.

Any thing else I should know??? 

• 1 month later...

I have got a SprogII. I have found when the throttle doesn't work, it is because you caused a short when you put the loco on the track. The JMRI software does not report a short, but that's why the throttle mysteriously does not function. You cannot clear the short from within JMRI, you have to re-boot the computer.

• 8 months later...

JMRI operates in two modes with the Sprog - decoder mode and command station mode. When you are programming a decoder you cannot drive a train and vice versa. What you need to do is choose either Sprog or Sprog Command Station in JMRI Preferences and click on Save. JMRI will restart and switch from Decoder mode to Throttle mode or vice versa.

Archived