No TTS sound

dwragg

I have just taken delivery on the new Gadwell A4 Class with DCC and TTS sound. Never experienced this type of sound before so that makes me a novice! Problem is I have no sound!! I've tried all I can think of (I'm not that novice!) but nothing there. I have the Select controller and am aware it has restrictions.

Can someone guide me through what I should be doing, or do I have a faulty engine....or controller?

The other thing is are you talking to the loco on its actual address. e.g. 003 as it comes out of the box or whatever address you may have given it and can you get the motor to respond to commands.

If so and F1 hasn't sorted your problem try to reset the decoder sounds only, by writing value 5 to CV8.

The other thing is are you talking to the loco on its actual address. e.g. 003 as it comes out of the box or whatever address you may have given it and can you get the motor to respond to commands.

If so and F1 hasn't sorted your problem try to reset the decoder sounds only, by writing value 5 to CV8.

Yes, the engine is now on command 002 set by me. Engine responds correctly to its commands motion wise. With 002 still on Pressing function +1 does nothing. I must admit I'm lost when you say 'try to reset the decoder sounds only by writing value 5 to CV8?!

RAF was forgetting you are using Select which cannot write to CV8 or any other CV except those accessed by its menu system such as loco ID, accel, decel etc. there have been other things suggested for TTS locos, like speed step adjustment, but none of these csn be done with a Select.

if if you've already tried all the things covered in the leaflet that comes with it, can I suggest you ring Customer Care to see if they can help?

Dwragg, hi, when you have time, look at Elink/railmaster package, for the future. computer controlled, less than the price of your loco, and it will give you a lot more flexibilty in the future, to adjust cvs, etc. You can download a trial free, and see what you think. john

RAF was forgetting you are using Select which cannot write to CV8 or any other CV except those accessed by its menu system such as loco ID, accel, decel etc. there have been other things suggested for TTS locos, like speed step adjustment, but none of these csn be done with a Select.

if if you've already tried all the things covered in the leaflet that comes with it, can I suggest you ring Customer Care to see if they can help?

Thanks all for the replys.

Still no sound after trying everthing again. Now I'm thinking it's the Select controller as I have another DCC engine with front light, always had this switched on, tried to switch off but it will not, so thinking it may be the Select at fault. I will call customer care in the morning to see what they have to say.

Also, have you tried pressing function alone, then 1, rather than both together?

Tried every permutation, only one I've not tried is throwing it all out the window!!......have come close though!!

but thanks for your time.

Just a thought. When you start the Select up, what numbers does it display? If the first number is 10, 11 or 12, I would suggest sending the controller back to Hornby to have the Firmware updated. Versions 13 and 14 "talk" to sound locos a lot better for some reason!

Thanks all for the replys.

Still no sound after trying everthing again. Now I'm thinking it's the Select controller as I have another DCC engine with front light, always had this switched on, tried to switch off but it will not, so thinking it may be the Select at fault. I will call customer care in the morning to see what they have to say.

I have just taken delivery on the new Gadwell A4 Class with DCC and TTS sound. Never experienced this type of sound before so that makes me a novice! Problem is I have no sound!! I've tried all I can think of (I'm not that novice!) but nothing there. I have the Select controller and am aware it has restrictions.

Can someone guide me through what I should be doing, or do I have a faulty engine....or controller?

Also, have you tried pressing function alone, then 1, rather than both together?

Tried every permutation, only one I've not tried is throwing it all out the window!!......have come close though!!

but thanks for your time.

Just a thought. When you start the Select up, what numbers does it display? If the first number is 10, 11 or 12, I would suggest sending the controller back to Hornby to have the Firmware updated. Versions 13 and 14 "talk" to sound locos a lot better for some reason!

This is the first time I have seen reference to v13 or v14 for the Select, I thought the latest and last version was 12 a.k.a 1.2?

Can Hornby please tell us what the latest version is? I have searched the web site and I can only find reference to 1.2.

Also if there is a version 14 (1.4) can any Select be upgraded? Thanks

• 5 months later...

Come on, guys - when you reply to a previous comment - do NOT use the blue 'reply' button.

Scroll down to the white box below, and type your comment n there, then press the GREEN 'reply' button.

This prevents endless repetition of all the previous comments - and makes your words stand out, instead of being hidden in the other stuff.

Couple of things that may be of use. Have a TTS DoG and have tested that on a Select without the latest firmware and it works fine with TTS sound so a fair assumption to say that a TTS  Gadwell should also work fine on a Select.

Secondly and maybe a longshot, but worth checking,  I recently purchased a brand new Hornby Class 08 R2977XS loco sound fitted and it had the same problem, would operate perfectly forward and reverse  but no sound. Turned out to be one of the wires had come off the speaker, perhaps in  transit. Soldered back on on and all ok. I know its a different loco but easy to do and worth checking.

Archived