Hornby No 2 Special Locomotives

LCDR

I am delighted to see that the pre-War Hornby No 2 Special outline locomotives (County, Compound and Hunt) are making a comeback in the Railroad range, but I am seriously disappointed that the Southern Railway is (once again) overlooked. The original Hornby

range in 1930s included the L1 4-4-0 and this model was once made by Tri-ang / Hornby but sadly it has never made a comeback. I would dearly love to see this one re-appear, perhaps the abominable changes made to the mould to create a 2P could be reversed,

and the L1 re-introduced.

It is a bit surprising Hornby have not produced an updated model of the L1. The old ones are still quite sought after. Curiously it never appears in the upper end of any of the recent annual Wishlists. Perhaps that is part of the reason. These days if

you want one you have to vote for it.
Good to give it an airing on the Hornby Wishlists board, though.

Yes, I have a few myself, having had one new in 1961 for my birthday, and aquired a lot more since at toyfairs, none are mint however and quite a few are repaired and repainted from 'basket cases' in a more authentic BR lined black livery. I also have

an unmade GEM replacement chassis as the L1 was a popular chassis donor for whitemetal bodyline kits in the 1960s, and when Triang deleted it GEM stepped in to replace it.

Archived