Recording and playing sounds in RM

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to add my vote for the free version of Audacity. As I have mentioned on this forum before I have an oval with a passing loop and I have trains travelling in each direction. By playing with Audacity I have taken a recording of a passing train (free off internet) and reversed one track. So now as it comes from right and passes to the left, the sound follows it from hidden speakers in the tunnels. By reversing it all I have another track that passes in the opposite direction. Audacity is a great program and it's worth spending time playing around with it to get pretty decent results.

Thanks for your input Teedoubleudee

I only had a short play before Christmas, it does appear a very powerful yet easy to use piece of software. The large number of filters in the software are unbelievable for free sound manipulating software. Your example also shows how flexible the software is, at present my project is loud speaker type sound but, once I have sussed that I am sure I will find many other uses with it.

PJ

I only had a short play before Christmas, it does appear a very powerful yet easy to use piece of software. The large number of filters in the software are unbelievable for free sound manipulating software. Your example also shows how flexible the software is, at present my project is loud speaker type sound but, once I have sussed that I am sure I will find many other uses with it.

PJ

My next sound project is to mount a seperate set of speakers into the main station area of the layout and fit a relay so I can switch over to them via RM and play stationery type sounds.

PJ

My next sound project is to mount a seperate set of speakers into the main station area of the layout and fit a relay so I can switch over to them via RM and play stationery type sounds.

Please do share what you do on here.

Once I sort sound effects (loud speaker type sound) I would also like to do that.

At present I have two external computer speakers (to big for layout), they are attached to the computer but, I would like to add single speakers, either under a station or in a station building, with left, right speaker switch as you are considering.

PJ

Can this be done in Rm? Sound to each speaker switchable?

Or would it be fed to a wire from computer, switchable to left or right speaker?

PJ

Or would it be fed to a wire from computer, switchable to left or right speaker?

PJ

RM has separate left and right versions of its built in sounds. If you have the normal stereo speakers attached to yor pc then these will play appropriately. You need to record your sounds and split or fade them into left and right channels - presumably your audacity s'ware can do this.

what I did with the hardware was obtain a stereo to mono splitter (jack to sockets), plug this into the pc and run mono cables from here to my left and right speakers, which are redundant car hands free phone speakers. All done by plugs and sockets, no soldering required.

I don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread, but I'm sure we've broached it in another thread. There needs to be a way of separating the RM "station sounds" from the Voice Control sounds. We have two choices at the moment - either everything comes through your PC speakers OR everything comes through your headphones. Sound devices should be selectable in the same way that printers are, if you have more than one.

Ray

I don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread, but I'm sure we've broached it in another thread. There needs to be a way of separating the RM "station sounds" from the Voice Control sounds. We have two choices at the moment - either everything comes through your PC speakers OR everything comes through your headphones. Sound devices should be selectable in the same way that printers are, if you have more than one.

Ray

Hello Ray

Happy Christmas to you.

Have you put this in the suggestions for RM thread?

PJ

PJ

RM has separate left and right versions of its built in sounds. If you have the normal stereo speakers attached to yor pc then these will play appropriately. You need to record your sounds and split or fade them into left and right channels - presumably your audacity s'ware can do this.

what I did with the hardware was obtain a stereo to mono splitter (jack to sockets), plug this into the pc and run mono cables from here to my left and right speakers, which are redundant car hands free phone speakers. All done by plugs and sockets, no soldering required.

Hi RAF

As you know 2014 for me has been a modelling year, although this will continue, it is now time to look into new areas, sound is one of these new areas.

Being a new area, I have not looked into anything relating to sound until now. Except talking to my trains which after consideration, it wasn't for me. I am frightened of them men in white coats! Now women in white coats might be different!

PJ

I will look into this more on my return, hopefully tomorrow, the weather north/south shoukd be better tomorrow.

I will find this an interesting subject I am sure, first station announcements, then throwing sounds for maybe birds, thunder etc to the various speakers.

Do you know what size the standard jack plug is that goes in the back of the computer.

Would I be best to buy a jack plug I can split to take left/right sounds individually to either speaker?  Then control left right output from RM. I am sure Audacity can do as you say but, there is a lot to learn ; o)

PJ

... Sound devices should be selectable in the same way that printers are, if you have more than one ...

Is this one for our 'Desirable features' thread, Ray?

As far as I can remember, I only mentioned it in the Voice Control thread, so I'll create a new entry in Desirable Features now. If nothing else, this will get that thread back to the top of the list again.

Ray

... Sound devices should be selectable in the same way that printers are, if you have more than one ...

As far as I can remember, I only mentioned it in the Voice Control thread, so I'll create a new entry in Desirable Features now.

Ray

Brilliant  ; o)

I think it is a good idea.

PJ

PJ

Hi PJ,

I'm currently feeding my stereo speakers using one of these from Maplin. This is plugged into the 3.5mm headphone socket on my laptop. I plan to use a latching relay. and feed the two coils from the left/right ouputs of a pulsed output (solenoid) accessory decoder. The two relay double pole outputs will switch the output from the amp from one set of speakers to the other.

I can post a wiring diagram if it would make more sense?

As far as I can remember, I only mentioned it in the Voice Control thread, so I'll create a new entry in Desirable Features now. If nothing else, this will get that thread back to the top of the list again.

Ray

Brilliant Ray

Archived