Recording and playing sounds in RM

Here's a diagram;

/media/tinymce_upload/Train_speaker_changeover.jpg

Hi Teedoubleudee

I am not aware of all symbols, I follow sound source to switches to speakers no problem.

I look at DCC decoder to 1 - 16 & 2 - 15 which do not appear (to me) to have any conection with the first part mentioned. Can you explain these please?

PJ 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi PJ,

The shaded area in the centre looks to me like a latching relay. It has two solenoid coils (like a point motor), but instead of moving point blades, it switches the stereo inputs 4 & 13 between 6&8 and 11&9 respectively.

Ray 

Ooops! Stated the obvious!! I've just looked back down the thread and read WTDs original post. :-)

Yes you are right Ray, the shaded area is the latching relay. The ones I bought are from Bitsbox as they are cheaper than Maplins, see here. So the pin numbers refer to that particular relay (Maplin ones might be different). 

The outputs from the decoder are the normal solenoid Left, Right and Common. The relays only need a quick pulse to set or reset them as they are mechanically latched and will stay in the same position with all power off.

I'm using these currently to switch my point frogs by connecting them in parallel to the peco point motor inputs. Only one set of relay contacts needed so you could use the other set to light LEDs on a mimic panel if you wished. I did this as I found adding the peco switch unit adds additional strain to the motor and can cause it to stick occassionally.

The relays are quite small but very reliable so far.

Terry

Hi Terry,

I use Peco point motors with my peco points, to which I connected the add-on switch provided by peco to power the electrofrog.

Ray

Hi Ray, I assume you are referring to those that sit on top of the motor (usually glued to it). If so, they are the ones I was referring to regarding putting extra strain on the motor. If you have a spare point motor, flick it back and forth with your fingers, then hold the switch in position on top of it and try again and you will see what I mean. I used to use them all the time, in fact I've got about 8 here still in their packets. The only issue with my method is, if you move the point by hand, whether switched on or not, the relay is not activated and therefore the frog polarity is wrong - I get round this by switching all points automatically at start up of Railmaster so the relay will be synched withe point position.

Hi PJ,

The shaded area in the centre looks to me like a latching relay. It has two solenoid coils (like a point motor), but instead of moving point blades, it switches the stereo inputs 4 & 13 between 6&8 and 11&9 respectively.

Ray 

Ooops! Stated the obvious!! I've just looked back down the thread and read WTDs original post. :-)

Are we looking at something like this from Maplins

12V DC 2A DPDT Miniature Latching Relay

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/12v-dc-2a-dpdt-miniature-latching-relay-n38aw 

I have just checked the bitsbox link so it looks the same aas you say and cheaper as you say.

What is this plugged into and how is it wired up (new to me)

PJ

Hi PJ,

Ray 

Hi PJ,

Ray 

I have just checked the bitsbox link so it looks the same aas you say and cheaper as you say.

PJ

Hi PJ,

Ray 

PJ

Sorry guys

Not sure what happened there?

PJ

I think it's called post Christmas shakes PJ.

Yes I believe it's the same one but can't gaurantee the pin outs. You can mount them in vero board if you wish but I just soldered the wires directly onto to the pins and stuck them to the baseboard with some stupid glue. I'll post a piccy later as long as no-one comment on my soldering!!

Sorry guys

Not sure what happened there?

PJ

I think it's called post Christmas shakes PJ.

Yes I believe it's the same one but can't gaurantee the pin outs. You can mount them in vero board if you wish but I just soldered the wires directly onto to the pins and stuck them to the baseboard with some stupid glue. I'll post a piccy later as long as no-one comment on my soldering!!

Thanks Tee

Not sure about Christmas shakes though, Christmas wobbles more like.

We look forward to your piccy later and promise not to comment on your soldering.

Seriously, fire away mate, adding pictures makes things so much easier on here.

Is a Vero board and a bread board the same? (No silly comments guys it might cause a moan or two LOL)

I am not sure I will be able to do this though, working out a bit expensive, maybe I can afford it if I don't use silly glue that is so expensive round here ;o)

PJ

Here's a diagram;

/media/tinymce_upload/Train_speaker_changeover.jpg

Hi Tee

If I was to do this from my computer jack plug, not through a stereo amplifier, The left and right speaker are fed from the same plug, with insulated section separating the two.

Does anyone know if I can buy a jack plug to open up and solder the wires myself to each contact point and then take them to speakers under the layout (via the switching unit)

Also what size speakers would you suggest to do this, they could go under the layout near a station or in a station building if small enough.

PJ

I will look into this more on my return, hopefully tomorrow, the weather north/south shoukd be better tomorrow.

I will find this an interesting subject I am sure, first station announcements, then throwing sounds for maybe birds, thunder etc to the various speakers.

Do you know what size the standard jack plug is that goes in the back of the computer.

Would I be best to buy a jack plug I can split to take left/right sounds individually to either speaker?  Then control left right output from RM. I am sure Audacity can do as you say but, there is a lot to learn ; o)

PJ

Maplins part L39BA will do the job PJ but I bought from someone else and it looked like Maplin part FP34M which is not the right one in this case, it just looks like the one I have. You need 3.5mm stereo jack to twin 3.5mm mono sockets.

Your pc stereo output is split into left and right channels for you to feed to where your left end and right end of layout speakers are. RM then sends left sounds left and right sounds right. recording your own sounds you obviously would label them as noise left and noise right.

I will look into this more on my return, hopefully tomorrow, the weather north/south shoukd be better tomorrow.

I will find this an interesting subject I am sure, first station announcements, then throwing sounds for maybe birds, thunder etc to the various speakers.

Do you know what size the standard jack plug is that goes in the back of the computer.

Would I be best to buy a jack plug I can split to take left/right sounds individually to either speaker?  Then control left right output from RM. I am sure Audacity can do as you say but, there is a lot to learn ; o)

PJ

Maplins part L39BA will do the job PJ but I bought from someone else and it looked like Maplin part FP34M which is not the right one in this case, it just looks like the one I have. You need 3.5mm stereo jack to twin 3.5mm mono sockets.

Your pc stereo output is split into left and right channels for you to feed to where your left end and right end of layout speakers are. RM then sends left sounds left and right sounds right. recording your own sounds you obviously would label them as noise left and noise right.

Hi PJ and RAF, The relay I linked to at Bitsbox is definitely right. Also I found my laptop sound output was too low even on full volume (it's only intended to drive a pair of headphones) which is why I included the stereo amp.

For P.J.

Right, here are a couple of pics showing how I've used these relays for frog switching (I haven't got around to the speaker project yet as I need to buy a couple more speakers. The relays are the small white rectangular boxes along the bottom of the first picture. The second pic shows the link up to the ADS8 decoder.

/media/tinymce_upload/DSCN1723.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/DSCN1725.jpg

PJ

Brilliant RAF

That makes things so much easier  ;o)

PJ

PJ

Hi PJ and RAF, The relay I linked to at Bitsbox is definitely right. Also I found my laptop sound output was too low even on full volume (it's only intended to drive a pair of headphones) which is why I included the stereo amp.

No problem

I am now using a PC for my trains so the sound is louder.

I use laptop to move around the house rather than notepad although depending what I am doing use both.

PJ

For P.J.

Right, here (pictures above) are a couple of pics showing how I've used these relays for frog switching (I haven't got around to the speaker project yet as I need to buy a couple more speakers. The relays are the small white rectangular boxes along the bottom of the first picture. The second pic shows the link up to the ADS8 decoder.

Many thanks, I can see them.

Hi

I am working out a system based on what I have read so far.

I have so far found on Maplins...

Nikkai Connect! 3.5mm Stereo to 2 Mono SplitterNikkai Connect! 3.5mm Mono Jack to Jack Cable 1.5m (2)

>>> Do you think these would do as speakers for the layout?

3W Mylar Square Speakers 77mm

I could still build in a latching unit to switch speakers. The sound will be powered through the PC and the switching speakers through RM connected to DCC Bus.

But don't think I would need an amplifier as it will be from PC not laptop

Comments welcome please, the reason I used Maplins is I can get everything there including

Metal Film 2W 150 Ohm Resistor D150RDecoupling Ceramic Disc 0.1uF Capacitor BX03D

For the ends of the DCC Bus

PJ

Hi PG,  Those speakers should be fine though they are a bit big to be driven from a headphone output without an amp, overall size is 3 inches - also remember you have to hide them somewhere and additional cover such as a building will cause additional attenuation of the sound. I suggest you temporarilly link them up to try before doing anything permanent. I'd be interested to know how you get on with them as I haven't purchased my additional speakers yet.

Are you using the speakers as a stereo pair? If not and you want to switch speakers individually, then you would need 2 latching relays. It depends on how you want to use them.

Hi PG,  Those speakers should be fine though they are a bit big to be driven from a headphone output without an amp, overall size is 3 inches - also remember you have to hide them somewhere and additional cover such as a building will cause additional attenuation of the sound. I suggest you temporarilly link them up to try before doing anything permanent. I'd be interested to know how you get on with them as I haven't purchased my additional speakers yet.

Are you using the speakers as a stereo pair? If not and you want to switch speakers individually, then you would need 2 latching relays. It depends on how you want to use them.

Hi Tee

I am still looking for smaller speakers, I thought they were to ig, smallest I could find on Maplins and I was trying to get everything from one place.

Yes I would get a latching Relay and have it switch left and right speakers. I have followed everything so far now I am aware of the latching unit

Thanks

PJ

Archived