My Hornby Elite has Firmware V 1.0 & i want to upgrade to V 1.41.

sbroger

I've just bought a secondhand Elite with Firmware V 1.0 (was this a mistake?!) & have been looking at the Hornby website re:upgrading - my laptop has Windows Vista SP2(32-bit system).

The Hornby recommendation is to download the appropriate driver(S) first & then the Firmware 1.41 but in the Troubleshooting section of the driver installation procedure it states that at least Firmware 1.3 is needed to download the driver(s)!

Should i therefore download the Firmware 1.41 first? Is there a step by step guide to installing the latest Firmware as there is for the driver(s)? I can't find one. I can see the batch of files necessary but not how to deal with them.

Some help & advice would be much appreciated.

Roger.

I too have Vista running on a laptop that I have RailMaster installed on and I used this to update the firmware on my 2nd hand Elite from 1.0 to 1.4.

The driver should be in the elite firmware upgrade package downloadable from the Hornby website. The main things I can remember were that the elite must be in program mode not standard mode (the pdf manual will tell you how to do that) and everything has to be run as administrator.After I did those two two things the upgrade was simple. I was surprised.

Oh and after the device driver is installed make sure under the device manager that the Elite's ComPort is under 5 from memory. Again the documentation will tell you.

The latest is 1.41 not 1.4, but that will be what is on the site anyway. And I think it is upgrade rather than program mode?  

In any case, all that upgrade/program mode means is that you connect it up using those 10 second delays as per the instructions. When I did mine, it took me a little while to figure out it was that simple. And don't give up if it doesn't work the first time, it may take more tries. Mine worked the second time. 

Archived