Installing decoder into R2098 2-6-2T (1999)

choralc

Looking at the motor from above the bottom black wire is tap-screwed to the chassis and the top black wire comes up through a hole in the chassis and connects to the motor through the capacitor.

I intend to desolder the capacitor and then use a mutimeter to test for any connectivity from the left and right wheels to the motor solder tags as well as the two now disconnected black wires.

If the motor is isolated I will wire up a decoder as indicated in the pic.

Anything obviously wrong with my thinking?

/media/tinymce_upload/R2098_DCC_fitting_small1.jpg

go for it ,all ok to to me

sleeve the decoder too much metal about ,watch out for space these smaller locos dont have a lot of room in them

magfan, where the decoder is indicated is where the DCC ready versions have the socket as the open cabin begins at this spot. Am definitely using a cut-down version of the insulation sleeve. Big heatshrink tubing perhaps? No maybe not.

Not only is this loco now chipped but I used one of the recycled ones that I had complained about before that had the less flexible wires that broke off at the solder points on the PCB.

I know that it was suggested that I should return them even though they are two years old but even with my tremors I had to have a go at refixing them!

Thank you again to the very helpful forum members.

Archived