Virtual Signals

Johnny H

Hi Guys,

I'm coming to the world of railway modelling after a gap of about 50 years and what has hooked me is the tech that's available for less than the kids blow on a night out.. My first computer had 32kb of RAM and cost about a week's wages.

What interests me is loco detection. Its already supported by the latest Hornby software but I've been unable to purchase it or get a handle on the programming language that will/is used.

I'm assuming that a basic IF THEN loop will be able to modify an individual unit's programme but will it be possible to incorporate a virtual signal, allocated to an address not controlled by an acessory controller to make global commands?

As an examle if a virtual signal named 2014 on the track plan is set to danger will it be possible to stop all trains from passing it even if it doesn't exist in the "real" world?

Hi Guys,

I'm coming to the world of railway modelling after a gap of about 50 years and what has hooked me is the tech that's available for less than the kids blow on a night out.. My first computer had 32kb of RAM and cost about a week's wages.

What interests me is loco detection. Its already supported by the latest Hornby software but I've been unable to purchase it or get a handle on the programming language that will/is used.

I'm assuming that a basic IF THEN loop will be able to modify an individual unit's programme but will it be possible to incorporate a virtual signal, allocated to an address not controlled by an acessory controller to make global commands?

As an examle if a virtual signal named 2014 on the track plan is set to danger will it be possible to stop all trains from passing it even if it doesn't exist in the "real" world?

Hi Johnny,

Welcome to the Hornby Forum.

I don;t see why not. Virtual signals could be a crude way of storing variables. Loco Detection sensors can be incorporated as items in a Railmaster Track diagram. The reason you have been unable to find it for sale yet, is that the hardware has not yet been released by Hornby. There are already "programming" facilities available in Railmaster, but the commands available can hardly be described as a programming language.

Not sure what you mean by "a basic IF THEN loop will be able to modify an individual unit's programme".

Ray

Hi Guys,

Hi Johnny

Welcome to the forum.

My layout has about 3 dozen signals on it, 20 working 16 dummy signals.

The dummy signals on the layout do nothing but, RM has a signal in it's place on the computer screen and is programmed like any other as a signal or as a signal attached to points. They work fine.

PJ

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Johnny

They have done a great job and are contuing to do so.

Signals are good for Loco Detection, although many parts of LD will be able to run without signals, so it is good for Hornby to include signals as an option but,

Hornby do not make signals that many of us may require, so again makes sense they should add signals to a mimic plan that work with loco detection and change points, etc but also make it so that you don't have to purchase signals if you don't want to or cannot afford at that time.

Another good point is by designing RM they way they have, you can add signals slowly as you wish and as time allows. A bit of good thinking on their part I thnk ;o)

PJ

Archived