Creating static IP address in Vista

Okay I may have have told the router want I want or am I just dreaming?

That's what I meant by "reserving". Did you click on Apply or Save to keep this setting?  If so you should be OK now

I hope this doesn't come through with the pic more than once because it's being held for moderation.

This is what was displayed after choosing basic view and double clicking on my laptop. I don't think the words Apply or Save appeared as choices. IIRC it was after selecting Edit. But I'm still not sure as I only used the address that was allocated. I don't think I saw a way of putting in my own unique address.

OK, I was just going off my own router which requires a confirmation each time you make a change. To test it you would need to reboot the router after switching the device off then see if it allocates the same ip when you switch it back on again. Can't offer any more advice otherwise. Good luck.

Update

After thinking that RM Spt may have suspected me as a troll or having ID10T errors they kindly organised a remote session.

If you had been a fly on the wall you would have been hearing me say to my lovely lady, "I did that. I did that. They're doing exactly what I did. The operator had to tell me to stop typing that he/she was doing exactly what I did.

They used the current router issued address, say 11 and asked me to confirm by restarting a number of times. Imagine my reaction on restart one that the address was now 12 but then on subsequent restarts: 2, 12; restart 3, 12; restart 4, 12; and restart 5, 12.

On starting RM I got the message that I should/must use a static IP. The iPad worked fine. A 6th restart of the laptop and RM/RM Handheld with the same result.

I am a happy camper even though at one stage RM Spt did say it was odd but then I've been saying that all along and people who know me would say the same! :)

I guess I can go into the ini file and turn off the warning (after copying the original to another location just in case).

Update 2

Upon hearing that RM was reporting that the address was still dynamic the RM Spt Operator was intrigued and I invited them to reconnect remotely once more.

A comment of '30 years in computing was muttered' when the IPV4 (or whatever) was opened to see dynamic addressing was still running.

The operator then ran MSUtility (sorry, happened so quickly I can't be sure of the exact name) and proceeded to turn off a lot of the proprietary software (described as bloatware). For those who are reading this and may not understand: the laptop brand puts on an additional shell to make their computer have a different user experience that they use as a selling point. There was obviously one or more of their startup items that intefered with the static addressing issue. I suppose (if I found that utility AND wanted to) I could turn some of these on again until I identify the specific startup items that caused the problem but this laptop is now specifically for RM use as my main laptop is a MacBook Pro also running XP SP3 via Parallels software,

Good outcome and thank you RM Spt for not giving up on this Windows novice.

Update 2

Upon hearing that RM was reporting that the address was still dynamic the RM Spt Operator was intrigued and I invited them to reconnect remotely once more.

A comment of '30 years in computing was muttered' when the IPV4 (or whatever) was opened to see dynamic addressing was still running.

The operator then ran MSUtility (sorry, happened so quickly I can't be sure of the exact name) and proceeded to turn off a lot of the proprietary software (described as bloatware). For those who are reading this and may not understand: the laptop brand puts on an additional shell to make their computer have a different user experience that they use as a selling point. There was obviously one or more of their startup items that intefered with the static addressing issue. I suppose (if I found that utility AND wanted to) I could turn some of these on again until I identify the specific startup items that caused the problem but this laptop is now specifically for RM use as my main laptop is a MacBook Pro also running XP SP3 via Parallels software,

Good outcome and thank you RM Spt for not giving up on this Windows novice.

Hi ChoralC

Pleased to hear it's sorted.  That utility woulf be MSCONFIG

Peter

Yep... the little proggy is msconfig as described above by PJR_slo but the programs that run in the background when Windows starts up etc is hardly bloatware. Most of it is there to simply save you having to start programs or utilities when you require them which makes, in theory, your system run faster as the program already has a semi head start on starting up normally. This is quite laughable really. I always stop 'extraeneous' programs running with this utility when Windows boots as they can be a pain. You're correct that it is the manufacturers that are to blame for this but they are paid to install other third party software and have it running in the background so it's a price unkowing users have to suffer.

One good example is Adobe Reader when it is installed on urchase is later by yourself. It automatically sets itself to run when Windows boots. Use this command from the command prompt and remove the check or tick to stop it running until YOU need it.

Archived