Drivers for Windows 8

Purchased a Western Master Digital Elink train set.  Have a computer with Windows 8.1.1 with Norton 360 security which has been enabled for Hornby to download information.

The disc downloaded the information, but failed to download the drivers (CDC RS-232 Emulation Demo).  The Hornby site only has downloads for Windows XP and 7.  How can I obtain the drivers? any advice welcome. 

I have emailed Hornby but had an automatic reply saying it could be 5 working days before a reply.

Hi gv, WTD has it half right for you but there are some things to check on before contacting RM Support.

To find the checklist, go to the DCC forum (yes all this stuff should really be in the RM forum, but we can't all be 100% right all the time), open the Majestic and eLink thread and go through all of the questions I have asked there to check you have all of the initial thinks right.

You may find you need to turn Norton right off to get anywhere.  But the important thing for now is to make sure you have updated to the latest v1.59 (1.60 if that was released overnight, I haven't checked) and then the driver you need will be in your RM folder.  If necessary, update to it via Device Manager.

Let us know how you get on.  If you still seem to be having trouble, then email RM Support from within the Help window of RM as WTD suggests.  Or by direct email to the address given if emailing out of RM doesn't work.

Oh, and if you haven't paid for dear Mr Norton yet, he is just running as a trial on a new laptop, then the advice is don't. 

Hi goodsvan, welcome to the forum. Windows 8 does not use the Hornby Drivers. When you connect your elink to computer it should find the correct driver itself. If it doesn't then consult the pdf file on drivers that should have been downloaded when Railmaster upgraded itself.

Good Luck.

Peter

Archived