Platforms in layout diagram

Here is how to add platforms to your RM layout diagrams.

Create a 50x50 GIF file with transparent background to represent a platform

(I have made some for you, see end of posting)

Call it for example Button_platform.gif (the Button_... is important)

Copy it into railmaster directory

Go into layout editor

Add a program icon (red/blue/green cog wheels)

Select the your new icon from the sliding selection window.

Leave the program name blank.

Save layout.

Voila!

If you click on platform it will say "program not found"

if you wanted to you could associate the platform with a program to play a sound file like station announcements.

Here is an example picture:

layout with platforms

Here are the files for a north-south platform and an east-west platform.

Button_platform_ns.gif http://1drv.ms/1w7xFo8

Button_platform_ew.gif http://1drv.ms/1tVFG5m

Copy both of these into railmaster directory

Enjoy.

Hi idlemarvel,

I agree with PJ, this is excellent.  I hope you could have started a trend.  How about some model cars, I would like a Reliant Van, a Ford Anglia (105e), a Ford Cortina (Mk1 and Mk2) and a Hillman Imp.  Guess what cars I used to own, a long time ago!

The platform is good and can be easily advanced/modified but to use part as an announcement link is triffic.  ;o)

This is the best improvement I have seen since....... 1.58 no it was earlier than that one minute past midnight LOL

Seriously though it is brilliant ;-)

Roads and houses etc to go with RDS's cars (or our own) maybe a fish pond!!!

Thanks for the feedback. Now I have mastered how to create GIFs with transparent background it is easy to create new ones. 

In terms of mimic diagrams, platforms are the most obvious item missing, plus maybe signal box symbol (I'm working on that) but I guess things like goods depot, train sheds, buildings generally, bridges, trees, etc would be useful.  With the programming capability you could get buildings to light up when you click them, or train sheds to open doors, trees to play bird sounds (or chainsaws!), the possibilities are endless.

Please note this is using an undocumented feature of RM; they may change the way this works in future releases, or there may be some as yet undiscovered limit on how many program icons you can have on a layout, or how many will display in the sliding tool bar, but for now have some fun.

Is it too late to patent this? :-)

Thanks for the feedback. Now I have mastered how to create GIFs with transparent background it is easy to create new ones. 

In terms of mimic diagrams, platforms are the most obvious item missing, plus maybe signal box symbol (I'm working on that) but I guess things like goods depot, train sheds, buildings generally, bridges, trees, etc would be useful.  With the programming capability you could get buildings to light up when you click them, or train sheds to open doors, trees to play bird sounds (or chainsaws!), the possibilities are endless.

Please note this is using an undocumented feature of RM; they may change the way this works in future releases, or there may be some as yet undiscovered limit on how many program icons you can have on a layout, or how many will display in the sliding tool bar, but for now have some fun.

Is it too late to patent this? :-)

Thank you idlemarvel

I think it also wise to remember these have workable commands they are not images so should be used to a minimum. Regarding comments/jokes about roads, cars, etc. These should not be used in the layout plan at this stage. It is a mimic plan for our model railway.

Why did I say at this stage?  Your idea is excellent, totally brilliant. Station parts for calling announcements (1 cell) fantastic. This could be done for so many things. Yes 1 car make sound, or anything else for that matter.

Suggestion for RM: To allow us to:

1 - change colour of background, e.g.  grey, brown, green.

2 - The ability to add images as you have idlemarvel, but a simple image of out choice with no programmable instructions to each segment. This means the items added are not part of RM programming. The station platform is a good example, I have three stations, each with multiple platforms, each made up of many pieces. As a basic image we can add these items without effecting RM at all.

I think Hornby may be concerned of adding large numbers of programmable images to create stations but, they could easily make it that we can add our own none program items.  Comments please.

PJ

PJ Singer chamous, was the one what looked like a hilman imp. Cant make your powerpos link work. Does not find the right thing. john

That's the one John

Now, RailMaster latest download from powerpos is from this link

www.powerpos.com/rail-master/rm_setup.exe

It works I have just treid it again. Carefully cut and paste it in to your browser, make sure no full stop on the end as I have seen in some cases.

Good luck, sorry off topic slightly idlemarvel.

Back again...

PJ

I've created a few more:

Button_building_ew.gif http://1drv.ms/1DLUAvfButton_building_ns.gif http://1drv.ms/14IcC63Button_tree.gif http://1drv.ms/1DLUJyHButton_signalbox.gif http://1drv.ms/14IcG5C

See here:

Capture2.PNG?psid=1

Hi idlemarvel

I am getting the following error?  (I tried a couple e.g. 

http://1drv.ms/1DLUAvfButton_building_ns.gif

Something's wrong here...

Uh oh, Bitly couldn't find a link for the bitly URL you clicked.

Most Bitlinks are 4-6 characters, and only include letters and numbers (and are case sensitive).

PJ

Hi idelmarvel

From your post with image above I am getting for following error from links loading

Something couldn't find link

I tried

http://1drv.ms/1DLUAvfButton_building_ns.gif 

http://1drv.ms/14IcC63Button_tree.gif

PJ

NOTE added afterwards:

I sent this message as first message was held due to image but, as always Hornby admin are on the ball ;o)

You now have two messages sorry for any confusion!

I have also had a couple of other probrlems

I tool platform image and rotated 45 degrees save with a new name Button_platform_nesw.gif and the other diagonal. Images saved in RM folder with others but do not show when I open track setup program section to choose item.

I also saved the train and reverses the direction, gave it a similar name but again doesn't show it for me?

I woonder if it restricts to 24 mages although you seem to have added additions in your example.

Any comments or suggestions?

PJ

Hi

I just thought I would have a quick try with the platform

/media/tinymce_upload/Rael_Dale_Layout_stations.jpg

I think you have really started something, stations with buildings, seats, lights ermmm.

Tomorrow I think I will try diagonal platform lengths.

Thank you

PJ

Blimey, PJ, that is some undertaking!  No wonder you are automating to the 'n'th degree.  Looks amazing, good luck with your endeavours.

By the way, was the Imp type car it's re-badged cousin, the Sunbeam Stiletto?   My wife's uncle had one, very nippy, but you needed to be quite petite to get in one!

Rod

By the way, was the Imp type car it's re-badged cousin, the Sunbeam Stiletto?   My wife's uncle had one, very nippy, but you needed to be quite petite to get in one!

Rod

Hi Rod, Yes it was.  Your mention of the word 'nippy' reminds me of when I bought my first Imp.  We had just started a family so I had to 'downgrade' my car from a Mk2 Ford Cortina fitted with a 3 litre V6 Ford Zodiac engine to the Imp.  When I took it for a test drive the seller said to me "quite nippy isn't it" - Erm maybe not!

Rod

Hi Rod, Yes it was.  Your mention of the word 'nippy' reminds me of when I bought my first Imp.  We had just started a family so I had to 'downgrade' my car from a Mk2 Ford Cortina fitted with a 3 litre V6 Ford Zodiac engine to the Imp.  When I took it for a test drive the seller said to me "quite nippy isn't it" - Erm maybe not!

That was not straight of the Dagenham production line, was it!  I'm amazed the body stayed on the chassis!!

Hi

I just thought I would have a quick try with the platform...

Image above prev post

I think you have really started something, stations with buildings, seats, lights ermmm.

Tomorrow I think I will try diagonal platform lengths.

Thank you

PJ

Blimey, PJ, that is some undertaking!  No wonder you are automating to the 'n'th degree.  Looks amazing, good luck with your endeavours.

Rod

Hi Rod

I think it was the Singer Chamois, the Sunbeam Stiletto was similar though.

Many thanks for your comments regarding the layout, it is progressing although signalling started in September is still not finished. Hopefully Hornby will get to the bottom of the problem with Train Tech 4 aspect signal issue, they are close. Then I can start on the CR Signal 3 aspect one  ;-).  We need feathers working though, HRMS have confirmed they are working on this so it is only a matter of time.

Yesteray and today I have started to add Speed Limit signs on the layout. All tthese additions make you look at your layout differently. I am not one for flat out speeds, I like to drive at what looks right speeds but, once you work out blocks and add signals, then look at adding speed limits to blocks the whole picture changes.

Speed on fast tracks, speed on medium tracks, more trains stopping, more turn outs, speed coming into and leaving stations. Speed at turn outs and for entering and driving in sidings. It is very interesting. I have done 50% of the layout and ordered more speed limit signs for the other side of the layout they do look the part. 

PJ

Rod

Maybe he was tryng to imp-press you ;o)   

Erm maybe not!

They were classed as cars for women!

Something got screwed up after I posted the new pictures.

Lease out the Button... after the links i.e.

http://1drv.ms/1DLUAvf

http://1drv.ms/14IcC63

http://1drv.ms/1DLUJyH

http://1drv.ms/14IcG5C

@PJ are you sure the images are in your RM folder and they start with Button and have a filetype of gif?

They must be 50x50.

Hi idlemarvel

50 x 50 - Yes

Gif - Yes

In RM folder Yes

Start with Button_  - Yes

ALLCORRECT except...

I saved them direct in the RM folder...  they need to be prepared else where then copied into the folder with Admin right!  Easy mistake

Thanks again

PJ

Many years ago, as a salesman, I started a job with a lovely Vauxhall Viva. After a year or so, it was replaced by a Hillman Imp. I was furious. When my boss went with me to the car park it had been delivered to, he tried to encourage me to think it was a decent car. He pointed to the back and said it seemed to have a decent sized boot. I told him the engine took up all that space. He then suggested the boot must be at the front then. We opened the bonnet and there was a spare tyre there, taking up practically all of it. I'm so glad I left that firm shortly afterwards!

Many years ago, as a salesman, I started a job with a lovely Vauxhall Viva. After a year or so, it was replaced by a Hillman Imp. I was furious. When my boss went with me to the car park it had been delivered to, he tried to encourage me to think it was a decent car. He pointed to the back and said it seemed to have a decent sized boot. I told him the engine took up all that space. He then suggested the boot must be at the front then. We opened the bonnet and there was a spare tyre there, taking up practically all of it. I'm so glad I left that firm shortly afterwards!

It sounds like yesterday Graskie.

I was put off by the wheel in the bonnet and it was advertised as a car for the ladies.

Now the Ford Capri was the best thing since the e type jag  ;-)

I thought Imps were those little black liquorice things ;o)

Archived