Just to say Bye..

Hi All

After visiting a friend who runs a basic NCE PowerCab system with A Train Software and also JMRI software, I was most impressed that it did everything I wanted, quite a few things more and was so reliable and stable, I have bought myself one.

After spending the last 18 months, often struggling to get the Elink and Railmaster  to actually work, it was at times more trouble than it was worth, I wanted to run my layout, noy spend many hours trying to get the equipment to talk to the laptop, and then to the loco's.

I'm sad to say that it was taking away the enjoyment of visting the garage to have a "play with the trains".

The support from the Railmaster people and the folks on here has been great, so thanks you all for that, but just wanted a more stable system.

I hope it will be brilliant when it's all worked out, but dont want to have that feeling of dread whemn switching everything on of will it work today.

P.S. Anyomne want to buy an Elink system complete with a 4A power supply?

Well done Greybags. I admire you for making a decision and publishing it on here. I have to say that I struggled with JMRI for a couple of weeks before giving up and, depsite what PP might think, I am not dim. R-

I gave up on JMRI for 2 main reasons:

1. Setting up a plan and control panel defeated me, even with forum support.

2. The forum is Yahoo based and I couldn't hack that either.

On the other hand Decoder Pro is great. - intuitive and dead easy to use.

I tried Rocrail - good product - (f.o.c but donations welcomed) - superb support and easy to use, but can get a tad complex as requirements expand into auto-control and detection. A tad Anti-Hornby though due to lack of compliancy with NMRA protocol and failure to put this info into public domain.

RM is getting there but really needs LD to fill the gap in controllability.

Oh yes, that's right RAF96, I'd forgotten about the support system being Yahoo based. Really difficult to find help on a particlaur subject and find answers to your queries. I am sure it suits some but too difficult for me. R-

Although it has been a frustrating year with Hornby, they are working hard, they are listening and are progressing.

HRMS are dedicated to making it work and are also very helpful, by email, by access to our computers, etc.

What Hornby are good at is simplifying the systems to reach out to more people in our hobby. What we have to accept, I think, is when a new way of thinking is created or new ideas are developed there will be hick-ups and although they aim to get everything as near right as possible before launching they are also launching them into multiple operating systems, with a variety of anti-virus software and computers which have an abundance of other software packages in them.

Keep up the good work Hornby, you have people concerned over TTS Sound, you have vastly improved RM from v1.58, you are working hard on signals and decoders and, I nearly forgot, Loco Detection.  ;o)

To quote again a statement by one of the HRMS Team, 'And there is lots more coming'

We are ready and waiting  ;o)

PJ

As we say in Cyprus - maybe tomorrow my friend - v1.60.

As we say today my friend... May be not  ;o(

1.60 is coming but so is Loco Detection and so is Christmas, v1.60 will definately be first!

We are confident something is coming RAF.....

In the UK it is more strong wind, rain and probably snow, definately ice  ;o)

What a chilling thought LOL

Archived