Changing loco address

Hi Guys,

Sorry if this has been discussed, Ive done a search but couldn't find exactly what my problem solution is.

Basically, I have an e-link with railmaster powering my layout. After much frustration, Ive got the basics to work, but, now having issue with changing loco's ID address.

I am using hornby 8 pin DCC decoder as Im only really bothered about lights and movement.

On putting in the DCC decoder, the locos work on ID 3 (the factory setting) with no issues. I put the loco on the programming track, follow the instructions to change the ID, complete the process and put the loco back on the main track under its new ID. However, nothing happens. Nil. Nada. Zilch.

I put it back on the programming track, try chane the CV's just incase, and still nothing. I programme the ID back to address 3, and hey presto, the loco works fine again.

However, given I cannot run all my loco's on ID 3, how do I go about changing the ID?

Many thanks in advance.

I agree with Ray.  

It may be that you are not changing the id at all, either from 03 or back to 03, in which case it has been on 03 all the time.

Does the Loco still work on id 03 when you think you have changed it to something else.

No the loco doesn't work on 3 when I think Ive changed it, its completly unresponsive. I will try the CV 1-8 idea tomorrow, hopefully that works.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

You have probably already done this, if you have sorry but have you also changed the locos ID in the loco listing on railmaster as well the loco?

Given you are using RM to change the ID, I don't think you can do one without the other Colin?

Having made a change to the ID, have you read back CV1 as suggested by Ray to see what it says?  I am assuming you are trying to change it to a short ID (under 100).

One of my Elites has no PROG output so I get round it by doing CV changes in Operate Mode on the main, including CV1 which the manual says you can't change.

I select the loco address that works with the loco I want to readdress, then I ask to change CV1 to the new address and it works.

Maybe the eLink will do the same.

Hi Guys

Ive tried again, reading CV's 1-8 only, but, still no luck.

Ive tried again and again, but, no matter what I try, when reading the CV's it does not change 'loco address value' from 3 to the number I am attempting to change it to.

Im running out of ideas, and patience at the same time as Ive had no end of issues with this software and its really getting on my wick now.

You can use the same write to CV1 method to change a loco address on the main in programming 'Operate mode'.

You have to confirm the loco address you want to change before making the alts, else you would amend the wrong loco by mistake, so it is fairly foolproof.

I found this out by fiddling as my 'spare' Elite will not programme from the PROG terminals.

Edit: - just thought of this. Normally you can't read CV values in Operate mode but if your decoder supports Railcom (e.g. Sapphire) and its enabled then you can read back some CV values.

RAF, this will only work with your Elite anyway so not of use to a_n who has RM/eLink which can't do this.

a_n, are you getting this with all of your decoders or just one?  Given you can read and not write it would seem, I'm wondering if it is a faulty decoder or a faulty eLink. 

I had problems recently changing the ID on a sound decoder. I used the standard Hornby Elite procedure which worked on the ID change but interfered with certain other ones. I wasn't sure whose sound decoder it was but eventually identified a particular source which needed CV32 changed to 1 and, after editing, then needed to be reset to 0. It worked perfectly.

Having read your decoder CVs in RM you may find some of the values listed difficult to understand.

For anyone wanting to use a long address (Cvs 17 & 18 as opposed to CV1) here is a link to a calculator that gives you the values for CV17 & 18.

Its just below the handy CV29 calculator here http://www.2mm.org.uk/articles/cv29%20calculator.htm

Archived