Why Cant I Edit a Program?

Hi Gang

I'm quite new to Railmaster and have been dabbling with programs for the first time today. I have just been upgraded to 1.6 with no issues I am aware of.

My probllem is that I created a 4 line program. Drive a train forward. Stop. Drive train backwards. Stop.

Simple!

I then try editting this 4 line program and add a point switch as the first command. I dont seem to be able to select just a program comand to run as when I click in the run column the "play button" icon appears in the last command when my program command is the first in the list (as is the row in the run column).

So, I save my now 5 line programe, I am warned about overwriting and click the green tick to save the file. If I then open it again I am back at the four lines I started with.

Completely confused.

So what am I doing wrong here?

Mark

Hi Mark

I don't think you are doing anything wrong.  I updated to v 1.60 this morning and I have just tried to create a 4 line program as you describe.  I was able to run the entire program from the main screen.

Having run the overall program, I tried to just run a single line without success.  When I say without success, I mean that the 'run' arrow appeared in the final column but the 'Edit Program' window is so large it is hidden behind my task bar at the bottom of the screen, so I cannot see the icons along the bottom.  I think from previous versions that it is one of those that you click to get the line(s) to run.

Also, because I cannot see the icons at the bottom of the edit program window, I am unable to add lines to the program, or even save a modified version, whereas I have done this many many times with earlier versions of RM.  I am unable to say whether this has happened because of v1.60.

Hi Mark

I don't think you are doing anything wrong.  I updated to v 1.60 this morning and I have just tried to create a 4 line program as you describe.  I was able to run the entire program from the main screen.

Having run the overall program, I tried to just run a single line without success.  When I say without success, I mean that the 'run' arrow appeared in the final column but the 'Edit Program' window is so large it is hidden behind my task bar at the bottom of the screen, so I cannot see the icons along the bottom.  I think from previous versions that it is one of those that you click to get the line(s) to run.

Also, because I cannot see the icons at the bottom of the edit program window, I am unable to add lines to the program, or even save a modified version, whereas I have done this many many times with earlier versions of RM.  I am unable to say whether this has happened because of v1.60.

Hmm, sounds like we need someone else to also try this in V1.6.

I can save the program, but when I open it again the changes are lost.

I have also just tried to create a program to turn on all my Deisel loco lights. When I save that I get a warning that I need to have an "on" for every "off" or something daft like that, but then the save appears to happen OK. When you then open the saved program it's completely blank.

This seems like real quality software!

Mark 

Mark, I think it is quality software and it is the first time I have had this type of problem.  Further to my post a few minutes ago, I shut RailMaster down and then reopened it.  I was then able to run just the lines I had selected (a coloured arrow appears) and I have been able to add another line, save it and it was still there (as I expected) when I reopened it.

The one problem I do have though is that the 'Edit Program window' is so large that I cannot see either the 'x' at the top to close it down or the icons along the bottom, when I have returned to the 'Main' screen.

Have also just tried creating a 4 line programme (1.60) and then editing to add a point control line like you decribed. It all seemed to work and save for me, I'm wondering if maybe your not running as an administrator?

(Right click the RM desktop icon, select properties, go to compatibility tab and select Run as Administrator.)

Have also just tried creating a 4 line programme (1.60) and then editing to add a point control line like you decribed. It all seemed to work and save for me, I'm wondering if maybe your not running as an administrator?

(Right click the RM desktop icon, select properties, go to compatibility tab and select Run as Administrator.)

Morning dgilbert2 

Yes - I am definately running as Administrator. 

I guess I need to raise my first request for help with Hornby.

Mark

... need to have an "on" for every "off" or something daft like that ...

Mark

Surely it is not daft that the program reminds you that you should have a lights off command for every lights on command.  I seems quite good to me!

I cannot work out what at this stage but as previously pointed out by someone else, it appears you may be doing something wrong if your edited programs are not saved

.... but the 'Edit Program' window is so large it is hidden behind my task bar at the bottom of the screen ...

Further to my difficulty yesterday with trying to make the programming window smaller and after shutting the laptop down completely overnight, it works perfectly this morning.

Running a single line or a few lines of the program by marking them in the right hand column and then using the icon at the bottom of the window (White arrow pointing right on a round Blue background, Labelled 'Test program marked steps)' works perfectly.

I have the solution - you could politely suggest learning on my part or more accurately say muppetry.

When I was entering the new lines to the programe, I wasnt entering a start time and hence the instructions were not being saved.

I raised a ticket this morning with HRMS and within 30 mins they had logged onto my PC, watched me demo the issue and point out the error of my ways.

Excellent service!

Mark

• 4 months later...

I am just resurecting this thread to warn that RM still has the editing problem that Mark raised.  Ie if you do not set a start time then that line is not saved when exiting the editor.

If a start time is so critical then RM should automatically insert zero when the line is created.

If a line has no start time on exit the DON'T EXIT !!!!! without warnings.

... If a line has no start time on exit the DON'T EXIT !!!!! without warnings.

I agree and I can imagine that the change should be quite easy because the software already does provide a warning if the start times are not in correct chronological order

Archived