Can I print a list of my Programs

RDS

Hi Ray

No nothing as complicated as Sound and Light.  My layout has 17 Sidings and 4 Loops and the idea is to show where the Loco should be positioned to start.

It's not so much program time I wanted to extract but the program date stamp, i.e. when it was created.  In terms of Loco id that is something I can type in easily as it is unlikely to change.

But to be able to get into a program, that is something that would be of interest ......

Hi RDS

I am not sure if this is any use to you but I do the following

150120 - file name

I add it as someone may not use it.

If the file name includes the dat in this order YYMMDD it will always be mathematically shown in date order

141211 - 

150103 - 

150121 - 

I know files include the date and time as well but including this at the start of a filename is a great date stamp.

PJ

Hi PJ

I don't use it on my RM programs but whenever I use the date in a filename, I always use exactly the format you have suggested so as to get files in the correct chronological order.

I don't want to make my RM fillename any longer than it is already.  I only start programs with RDSprog so that I can identify ones I have written myself.  I have asked previously in the Desirable Features Thread, to have more room in the window for the filename.  Yesterday, I asked for either the ability to change the column widths in the 'edit program' window or at least for the instruction column to be wider.

Hi Ray

I have got your listing from RMweb.  Thank you very much for taking the time to do that.

If I have changed the file when the filename has been created using the date, I do rename them to use the new date but usually when I use that type of filename (for example when scanning a document) the date does not change.  I am aware of the ability to sort by clicking the heading column (I often wish we could do that with a RailMaster program to find all uses of a particular Loco, where they would be kept sorted together)

Windows Explorer contains a Date Created and a Date Modified option.  Are there commands in VB for both options.

Hi Ray

I have got your listing from RMweb.  Thank you very much for taking the time to do that.

If I have changed the file when the filename has been created using the date, I do rename them to use the new date but usually when I use that type of filename (for example when scanning a document) the date does not change.  I am aware of the ability to sort by clicking the heading column (I often wish we could do that with a RailMaster program to find all uses of a particular Loco, where they would be kept sorted together)

Windows Explorer contains a Date Created and a Date Modified option.  Are there commands in VB for both options.

The FileDateTime function returns the date the file was created or last modified. I'm afraid theres no way that I know of to get both.

I've since enhanced the code to include the start and end time of each program.

Ray

Let's try again, with line breaks ... You could always list them in the command prompt then open in notepad, thus:- Click on Start then run and type CMD then press enter At the command prompt type CDProgra~2RailMaster and press enter Type DIR *.prg > list.txt and press enter Open Notepad, click open, navigate to the RailMaster program folder and open the file list.txt There's you list of programs and also the default RailMaster ones, which you can easily remove.

Brilliant HRMS - that is just what I wanted (I had to replace the 'Progra~2' with 'program files' though).

Thank you very much

For reference.....  Windows 64 bit users

From command prompt.....     CDProgram Files (x86)RailMaster    

then    DIR *.prg

PJ

I date my on-line statements like that too. Just goes to show there are no new ideas.

I use the date method in a few things but not everything.

If short of space I miss the spaces 150121-Filename

But other things I often use a priority or grouping method, I am sure others do also.

0-Filename for top category or highest priority file types

1-Filename for priority 1 or another category file types

etc

If used for groups instead of categories they could be for example

0-RailMaster,

1-Trains

etc, etc

I find it keeps all files in one folder but separates them in groups.

Archived