Elink broken - new stand alone controller?

Hi,

After successfully running with RM Pro and E-link for several months I managed to get a short circuit and seem to have destroyed the Elink controller. Probably my own fault as I was converting an old engine to DCC and there may have been a short (even thought that prior to the short circuit I managed to program the unit on the programming track?). A "short circuit" message appeared on the screen. I tried to close the program but could not get a response even after I disconnected the tracks. Hence I shut down the PC and restarted. All that happens now is a flashing light on the controller. With everything disconnected I tried both the 1 amp and 4 amp transformers but to no avail. Is this fixable or must I look for a new unit. If the later where can I get a standalone controller only?

Many Thanks

Roeland

The elink is supposed to have protection against failure due to short circuits, but I have found it is not always very robust. In my case Hornby were very helpful and replaced the elink free of charge and with no great fuss. I was very impressed by their attitude. I also raised the matter by email and though not as quick as a phone call it was plenty good enough.

That seems correct - I had short circuits before and they did not affect the unit. So I was very surprised when it happened.

A short circuit should never knock out a decent controlling device. I use an Elite with RM and have never had that problem. I've had the odd short affecting loco decoders, but not destroying them. Even that should not happen on a fit for purpose system, though. Surely the elink should have a proper and robust cutout facility which does not allow the unit to fail?

There's no doubt that elink DOES have a cutout facility, but it seems that production quality may not be as good as we would like in every case. In other words, perhasp due to the low pricing level the standard of components used is less than ideal, and a bit variable? Good enough in perhaps 90% of cases, but once in a while a component will fail, whereas it will be less likely in a more robust but also more expensive product.

But the good news is that, at least in my experience, Hornby are quite willing to accept such failures as a fair warranty claim.

I hope so - the unit is less than 1 year old.

Hi roeland,

Did you get a HC reference number for the email you sent in? I've checked the email system with your email address (the one attached to your Forum account) and I can't see anything being received from that address.

I did get an auto reply - not sure about the reference number as I'm replying now from a different account but in the interim I phoned and got an absolute excellent service. A new unit will be posted to me. Many Thanks

Archived