Hornby 'Elite' Controller and 'MyLocoSound' sound decoders.

sbroger

Does anybody have any experience with 'MyLocoSound' sound decoders  when operated with a basic version 'Elite'(Firmware version 1.0)?  I found that the decoders did not respond/were not activated, by the controller whereas my Hornby & Bachmann locos with factory-fitted sound decoders work perfectly well.

I look forward to some insights & advice.

Thanks & regards, Roger.

I fitted a Mylocosound decoder & speaker into the tender of a Hornby Schools. It runs as good as any other chipped loco, the sound is very acceptable once tuned to the motion and for £49 is a bargain. It uses 7 functions, 28 adjustable CV's and has a stay alive capacitor already fitted. My controller is Elite upgraded to V1.04.

I fitted a Mylocosound decoder & speaker into the tender of a Hornby Schools. It runs as good as any other chipped loco, the sound is very acceptable once tuned to the motion and for £49 is a bargain. It uses 7 functions, 28 adjustable CV's and has a stay alive capacitor already fitted. My controller is Elite upgraded to V1.04.

Thanks very much, that's very helpful, regards Roger.

• 1 month later...

Does anybody have any experience with 'MyLocoSound' sound decoders  when operated with a basic version 'Elite'(Firmware version 1.0)?  I found that the decoders did not respond/were not activated, by the controller whereas my Hornby & Bachmann locos with factory-fitted sound decoders work perfectly well.

I look forward to some insights & advice.

Thanks & regards, Roger.

I would be tempted to send in a report from RM telling HRMS exactly that - 'it works fine direct via Elite but slow via RM'. It may be that it has characterisitcs RM doesn't fully support yet, but they will if they can usually.

Can you remember which CV's you needed to change to get the loco to run well? I've just bought one but I'm having very little success in getting it to run well.

Ray

If you actually mean Elite v1.40, not 1.04, then highly recommended to upgrade to 1.41 which fixed a number of serious bugs in 1.40.  And even more so if you meant 1.04.

Hi St1ngr4y,

These are the CV's I changed. CV2-16, CV3-20, CV4-10, CV64-40 but these values may not suit your loco. Also the Chuff rate, delay & volume will have to be set specific to yours. It's trial and error most of the time. My controller is the Elite version 1.40 and I have not experienced any bugs but I have downloaded v1.41 ready to upgrade as recommended by Fishy.

I believe that a sheet should come with the decoder to set CVs to match a 2 or 4 cylinder loco or a three cylinder.

Yes, I got the sheet with all of the configurable CVs and an explanation of their meanings. However, no matter what combination I tried I couldn't get the loco to start smoothly. Under Railmaster's control having got it going forwards, I couldn't get it to stop, except by selecting reverse then a slow speed (and the transition from forwards to backwards was instantaneous!). Once going backwards, the RM stop button then worked. Under RM I couldn't get any of the sounds to function (except for sound on/off). It was a nightmare. I have it packaged up, ready to return for a refund.

Ray

I believe that a sheet should come with the decoder to set CVs to match a 2 or 4 cylinder loco or a three cylinder.

Yes, I got the sheet with all of the configurable CVs and an explanation of their meanings. However, no matter what combination I tried I couldn't get the loco to start smoothly. Under Railmaster's control having got it going forwards, I couldn't get it to stop, except by selecting reverse then a slow speed (and the transition from forwards to backwards was instantaneous!). Once going backwards, the RM stop button then worked. Under RM I couldn't get any of the sounds to function (except for sound on/off). It was a nightmare. I have it packaged up, ready to return for a refund.

Ray

Hello

I am still having trouble getting my locosound decoder to operate correctly from the Railmaster,I have emailed Railmaster support 7days ago but no reply yet.

the decoder operates from Elite o/k when not connected to Railmaster

Paul

Archived