hornby elite R8214

joeblue

i have upgraded my model railway from a select to the elite 1.41 .But what i fined when programing a loco on programing track ,give it adress No 1 and try to move the loco forward & back it does not work .then put it on the main line and it works fine But with the hornby select on the program track address No1 forward & back  lights forward & back So up till now i fined the select the best.I hope  some one help regards joe    

Hi Joe and welcome to the forum. I have an Elite. You can't operate any loco on the programming track, but just program or edit it. Yes, it will then work on the mainline in accordance with any such programming or editing. That's standard. Despite that, the Elite is a far better, versatile and more powerful controller than the Select. I didn't even realise you could run things on the programming track with the Select, but I wouldn't find that too useful anyway, just in case anything went mad and shot off its short length.

The reason you can run things after programming with Select is that there is no separate programming track.  In fact if you do programming, it programs anything and everything you have on the track.  You have to remove everything you don't want to program.  Most inconvenient if you have a number of locos and trains that have to be removed.

Far better to have a separate programming track like Elite and just about every other DCC controller.  For me, the lack of one is one of the disadvantages of Select, along with its not being heavy enough to use as a doorstop.

If you still have your select you can (or could) get a cabel to attach it to your elite to act as a third control (can't remember the part number). The only down side is that it will still only operate the locos with the short two digit addresses.

Archived