Doing my head in

@all: thanks for all the replies and I am sure that this thread will be a huge source of information for future users.

A few comments (maybe should be more on here so can reply sooner):

- the computer I am currently using is the lastest model with win8 pre-installed and upgraded to 8.1 before installing anything else.

- there is no malware of adware or viral software on it. It is scanned on a daily basis because of security measures at my company (state-of-the-art software supplier)

- there is no other software on there that might interfere. No development software, no illegal software, no cracked software whatsoever

- having had some 20 years experience in building and delivering software on a windows platform (among others), i think i recognize some of the symptoms. The 5 minute startup time is over stated and merely used as an example. just wait a bit was all i was saying. And yes, if you wait long enough, including the elink, then everything works the 2nd time. This leads me to believe the driver is updated every single time or something else is going on.

- windows 8 is a different system to windows 7 and previous versions. So using a windows 7 driver will always cause problems. You only have to browse through this forum to see that problems are widely spread. All to do with the installation/setup. Understandably, since MS has changed the security model in windows 8 once again (will probably do so again with version 10, seen some posts here that win10 will ofcourse be supported but i anticipate the same problems.

- after being annoyed enough with the hit-and-miss attempts, I have decided to conform to the masses and stop fightling the tide. I will get one of my other laptops, that runs win7, and install it on there. Probably have to setup all the locs (9 by now) again. Will scan for some configuration file that i can transfer. Oh, and give up on the mobile app all together.

@anyone that knows:

one of the reasons why railmaster is so cool, is the fact that i can control it from a remote device. I am planning on installing wifi-cameras in all my locos and on the layout at strategic points and then connect these into an internet app. This will allow me to control everything from anywhere in the world and see what is going on. But i need to communicate with RM in a similar manor that the RM-mobile app does (looks like simple requests through a certain port of some format). Here is my question: is there a decription of the interface (maybe a WSDL - probably not) and what about license keys for the mobile communication?

Just to give you an idea of what I am trying to do...there are some images on my website

http://worldofamuppet.blogspot.nl (dont worry, it is not in dutch)

sorry for typ-o's, mobile device and spell checker are not your friend when in a hurry...

Willem,

Read your post and looked at your blog, a great way to document your journey.  I have persisted with eLink and Windows 8/8.1 and Android tablet running mobile app, works for me fine, but that doesn't help you. Sorry can't help with your question re interface and licence keys, but:

to move Railmaster from one PC to PC and maintain configuration I suggest you have a look at a previous thread and a post by idlemarvel.

https://www.hornby.com/forum/post/view/topic_id/7137/?p=2

Hope this helps,

Clive

Hi Willem, I would have thought you had sufficient info now to solve your problem.  But what did HRMS say when you emailed them?

And concerning this being a good reference source, see the thread Railmaster for the Uninitiated which is looking to create such a source, including the HRMS post here on drivers, the post I referred to from Majestic with eLink, some good stuff from AC on AV protection and some much earlier material from HRMS on changing loco IDs.

Archived