General Newby Track Planning and General Assistance

Hi All

I've been involved in some discussions elsewhere on this forum and that has prompted me to post a plan of my layout and RM version to see if anyone can suggest a better way to represent it in RM. Here's the basic design:

/media/tinymce_upload/tracplan_AnyRail.png

And this is how I have represented it in RM:

/media/tinymce_upload/tracplan_RM.png

I have RM setup so there are 2 loco throttles accross on the RHS resulting in my screen space beeing a little restricted. I also use a laptop so the resolution isn't as good as it might be on an external monitor.

Some general dumb questions on RM that I would be grateful for some help with:

1. Can I get rid of the touchpad icon at the top LHS?
  2. Can I sort the throttles by DCC number without moving them one at a time?
  3. Can I stop the zoom level on the track plan reverting back to 100% after I edit the track plan?
  4. I have the option enabled to ask to set the points on startup - can I stop that happening when the software has already detected that the controller isn't connected?
  5. Can I execute the startup point setting without restarting the software?
  6. Is there a way to highlight the locos that are running - perhaps the throttle slider being a different colour when not at zero?

Thats it for now!

I'm having fun with RM.

Mark

Some answers W-S

1. You cant delete it but you can click and drag it say onto the top bar area, same with the mouse icon.

2. Dont think so, its a manual reshuffle in the loco list using the move up/down arrows that sets the throttle order on screen right.

3. I think zoom is defined in the .ini file and it should default to this value.

4. .ini file again. If it asks then you can say yea or nea regardless of if the controller is detected or not, but i see what you want, can I bail out if in a no detect scenario.

5. Only in Pro-Pack and a restart will be required and is always advised.

6. Not that I know of but a good idea.

3.  RailMaster normally saves the last zoom level that was used when the file was saved and then reopens at that zoom level next time.  No need to touch the .ini file.

It does and that works until you edit the track plan.... then it reverts back to 100%

Mark

It does and that works until you edit the track plan.... then it reverts back to 100%

Oh, I see.  I didn't realise that but then again once you get an established layout, editting is probably not done that much.

Some answers W-S

1. You cant delete it but you can click and drag it say onto the top bar area, same with the mouse icon.

2. Dont think so, its a manual reshuffle in the loco list using the move up/down arrows that sets the throttle order on screen right.

3. I think zoom is defined in the .ini file and it should default to this value.

4. .ini file again. If it asks then you can say yea or nea regardless of if the controller is detected or not, but i see what you want, can I bail out if in a no detect scenario.

5. Only in Pro-Pack and a restart will be required and is always advised.

6. Not that I know of but a good idea.

Thanks for the answers.

Q1 - yes I have found I can move it but it doesn't stay where it's put on restart so I have to do it each time. I'd quite like to disable it completely as I dont have a touchscreen.

Q4 I have the .ini file configured to ask me if I want to set the points. So the software starts, tells me that there is no controller connected, and then askes if I would like to set the points! A bit bonkers.... as it can't set points without the controller connected.

One last question, can I stop the silly train noises on software startup?

Thanks

Mark

I wish you could switch off the startup racket - very irritating. Even my cheap phone gives me the choice of a start up tone or not.

You can switch off system sounds in the controller setup screen like button press and points clicking noises, etc but I haven't tried it to gauge any beneficial effect on startup.

Zoom - Pro-Pack will reset your screen to the last zoom level at startup. Zoom in .ini file - sorry I was confusing it with the ability to define plan size and send that to the device.

You can specify in the .ini file if you want to reset the eLink on startup and if you want RM to keep looking for it but that may/may not be of help in the end.

I wish you could switch off the startup racket - very irritating.

Yes you can - disable system sounds in the controller setup panel and its gone.

Other sounds like announcements and/or programme sounds are still there as obviously are TTS sounds.

• 5 months later...

On this topic, does anyone know how to get the 45 degree point icons to show in RM track design.  They are there in the program folder listed as point 9-16 and show up in the double slip plan but not in the point selections when drawing a plan, thanks.

Hi Mark

I've just come across this thread (thanks to SailorSam's latest post) and I'm intrigued by the way you've represented your track plan in RM, i.e. in 4 separate segments.  I'm also surprised that nobody else has commented on it either.

I too have a complex plan (though I hasten to add that I've yet to build it), but it never occurred to me to split it into segments, as I assumed that this would create problems operating it using RM/eLink.  I would be interested to know if anyone else has any thoughts on this.  At a very minimum, when Loco Detection is introduced (eventually), surely it will need to know how and where the different segments join together!!!

To represent my plan within RM, I was hoping to adopt an idea that I got from the McKinley Railway (Google it and go to Video 3), whereby you can extend your screen display by adding 1 or more extra screens to your PC/Laptop.  I've yet to try this out on Windows 8.1, but I was able to do it on WIndows XP before my then laptop went kaput.

I hope these ideas are helpful.

Stephen

Splitting your layout in RM causes no problems whatsoever, including with LD.

Just putting LD to one side for now, the only reason you have a layout in RM is so that you can have all of your points, TTs and other accessories somewhere you can see them.  You can also see their relationship to each other so that it makes some sense when you set them in a route.  Then remember, RM has no idea where your locos are, only you do because you can see them on the actual layout.

Now when you add LD, RM knows where your locos are, how fast they are going and probably in what direction, but only at the point they pass over an LD sensor.  Then they are lost again until they pass over the next sensor.  However, given that sensors are situated at or very near critical places on the layout, that's all you need.  You know when you've reached a point, a station, a TT, or buffer stops at the end of a siding because you have put your sensors near these.

So even with LD, you can split your layout into as many pieces as you like, and it makes no difference.

For the life of me Sailor Sam - I can't remember. :-/ It says in the blurb (news icon behind the "?" button at the top) that it can be purchased from the "About" page within RM. I suppose that is the same "?" button, but as I have Pro-pack it does not show up on my screen. Give it a go. R-

Splitting your layout in RM causes no problems whatsoever, including with LD.....

I'm much obliged to you, Fishmanoz.  You've explained the logic very well.  It just hadn't occurred to me to split the layout for the purposes of representing it within RM.  I need to redo my plan on RM anyway, as I want to change the design and also want to take advantage of some extras provided by Pro-Pack, so I'll take this idea into account then.

Thanks for the help.

Stephen

Archived