Is RailMaster available as a Download?

As the title says, i intend to buy railmaster today along with the harware to work along side my elite controller.

After my last question about apple computers and railmaster was answered by you nice people, my next question is can i buy this as a download as none of my apples have cd draw as downloads are the future and cd is old tech. ? cheers fineboy

As the title says, i intend to buy railmaster today along with the harware to work along side my elite controller.

After my last question about apple computers and railmaster was answered by you nice people, my next question is can i buy this as a download as none of my apples have cd draw as downloads are the future and cd is old tech. ? cheers fineboy

How would you go about loading a music CD onto iTunes? 

The solution is very simple. Just download the latest RailMaster setup from www.powerpos.com/rail-master/rm_setup.exe and run it on your PC (remembering to right click on the downloaded setup file and clicking "Run as administrator"). You can then use the RailMaster Activation key printed on a label inside the CD packaging to turn the evaluation software installed into the full copy.

As this a functioning evaluation program, lasting 90 days, you can play with it and run trains and operate points on your Elite without having to spend any money on the software - yet.

There is actually no need to use the CD. If you installed from the CD it would in fact download this latest update automatically and install it anyway.

I down load everything including my music, the last time i bought any music on disc was for my sony minidisc player,That must be at least15- 20 years ago but proberly longer. I have been down loading music since the very first ipod. I am a pro photog and cant remember the last time anything came on a disc for the camera industry....Discs are history,you only have to look around a computer shop and count on one hand how many laptops still have a disc drive...not many, and the ones that do are the very bugdet options. Anyways guys thank you for your information...fineboy

Yes Graskie, I built a little bungalow for it in the garden. I lives there with with a retired floppy disc called Graskie. How apt. 

5 1/4 or 3 1/2 WTD?  I can still remember having my program in the machine on one 5 1/4 and my data on the other.  They were 512kb each so lots of space.  Then I bought and installed the latest technology HDD of 30mb, most only being 20mb in those days.  It was only 30 years ago.

There is certainly no rotating drive at all in my laptop now, internal, external or otherwise.  Consistent with my engineering principles, the only things that move in it are the electrons.

I down load everything including my music, the last time i bought any music on disc was for my sony minidisc player,That must be at least15- 20 years ago but proberly longer. I have been down loading music since the very first ipod. I am a pro photog and cant remember the last time anything came on a disc for the camera industry....Discs are history,you only have to look around a computer shop and count on one hand how many laptops still have a disc drive...not many, and the ones that do are the very bugdet options. Anyways guys thank you for your information...fineboy

Off Topic

I would dispute your comment regarding discs as being history. I personally still buy CDs and DVDs/BluRays. I do my own ripping to my computers and keep copies (you never know). I also think you are wrong about only budget laptops having CD/DVD drives, I suspect they would be the ones without them thus keeping the cost down. I recently bought my wife an HP (far from budget) laptop and that came with a drive.

Downloading and streaming music and films is fine when you have good broadband speeds but here in the UK there are still plenty of areas existing on 1-2 megs!

Lastly, I have a USB 3.5" floppy drive on my shelf - just in case! <smiley face>

Off Topic

I would dispute your comment regarding discs as being history. I personally still buy CDs and DVDs/BluRays. I do my own ripping to my computers and keep copies (you never know). I also think you are wrong about only budget laptops having CD/DVD drives, I suspect they would be the ones without them thus keeping the cost down. I recently bought my wife an HP (far from budget) laptop and that came with a drive.

Downloading and streaming music and films is fine when you have good broadband speeds but here in the UK there are still plenty of areas existing on 1-2 megs!

Lastly, I have a USB 3.5" floppy drive on my shelf - just in case!

well that is your opinion as is mine stated in previous message.

personally i cant see the point in anything moving within the computer, for me its solid state and download all the way.less can go wrong.

i am lucky enough to live in central london and use virgin 150 meg download speed and 30 meg upload which is mainly for work but also personal. i need such speeds for sending and recieving large raw files to clients both here and asia. 

anyway way off topic as all i wanted to know from those who were kind enough to inform me was could i download railmaster.it also seems as if everytime someone starts a thread on this forum people start hijacking and twisting the thread in completly different directions fineboy

Well you got you answer and I was asking a polite question. Doesn't a hard drive in a computer move?  So I take it you don't download CDs onto ITunes then? You don't have to answer that. 

The he only reason I asked was because I have about 700 CDs and was wondering if there was another way of getting them onto a PC etc. 

Ongoing constant improvements in recording formats can be a problem. I still have my lovely massive VHS camcorder with loads of small filmed VHS tapes. I recently wanted to watch a few of them. My big lounge HD TV seemed to have VHS connectivity according to its menu, but I just could not find a physical VHS connection to it. I tried alternative AV output from my camcorder but still no luck. I actually have my old  expanding video cartridge but no luck there either. Also, I can't connect to my current desktop or notebook PCs! So, don't get rid of PC disc drives as well, please, as I have loads of CDs and DVDs as well! It would take me forever to transfer everything to solid state recording.

It's obviously quite a problem trying to get at a lot of retro data when things are being constantly updated.

Optical disc players will be around for a very long time yet. They have just announced the new standard for 4k discs and one of the criteria is that all 4k players must be backward compatible with all current standards

Graskie, I think you can buy converters from scart to hdmi. Obviously you won't get hd quality but at least you would be able to watch your old vhs tapes.

Hi Graskie

Does your HD TV not have Phono inputs (usually Yellow, Red and Black or White) because that should connect to your AV output (This is usually 3.5mm, same size as the socket for headphones but has an extra band on it, 3 bands instead of 4).  I have leads that will do that.

I think we may have gone off topic here!

Hi Graskie

Does your HD TV not have Phono inputs (usually Yellow, Red and Black or White) because that should connect to your AV output (This is usually 3.5mm, same size as the socket for headphones but has an extra band on it, 3 bands instead of 4).  I have leads that will do that.

I think we may have gone off topic here!

I'd forgotten about the phono inputs (sometimes called RCA connectors) but I think Graskie wants to make copies rather than just watch them.

RDS, how does an extra band get to be 3 bands instead of 4?  Do you mean instead of 2, which would be stereo input instead of mono?

Hmm.  Error on my part, well spotted!

I should have said 3 instead of 2.  

1 insulating band = Mono, 2 insulating bands = Stereo and 3 insulating bands = AV.  

Archived