E-link short circuit

We have the e-Link system with a demo version of the Rail-master version of the software. The firmware is 1.06 and the software is 1.60

As new users of e-link we are having difficulty setting up. The first time we eventualy got it working but after putting the set away we got it out again and the train won't go. We keep getting a short circuit message  - the train doesn't even move. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Max, hi, welcome to the forum. This looks to be a track connection problem. Run your finger over all the rail joints to make sure properly connected. Next, if you have points, do you have the little springy  wires in place. Next try train on programming track. If still no go, report back. john

Max, hi, welcome to the forum. This looks to be a track connection problem. Run your finger over all the rail joints to make sure properly connected. Next, if you have points, do you have the little springy  wires in place. Next try train on programming track. If still no go, report back. john

hi I have tried this and it semed to connect to the box but it says there is a short circuit so I took apart the train and tested it with the resistance mesurer and it says that the weels are all not connected but when I add the motor and chip to it they connect any ideas

The devil is always in the detail ;)

So, first. Are you saying that with the E-link connected to the track all is OK, i.e. you only get the short circuit when you place a specific locomotive on the track?

If this is the case, have you tested with another locomotive to see if that works?

If so far all is fine and you have effectively eliminated the track as causing the short, and determined it only happens with one specific locomotove, we can move on.

It is likely something has been damaged or become dislodged with that locomotive.

Now I'm also confused with your testing of the loco, and the statement that the wheels are disconnected. Are you saying with the motor and decoder disconnected there is no short? Have you placed it on the track at this time, and do you get the short or not?

If you place it on the track with the decoder removed and the motor disconnected and all is fine, then the fault has to be either the decoder or motor. That being the case, as it sounds like it is new, looks like you need to return for a repair or refund.

Before rushing off and buying a new decoder take a close look at the decoder plug and socket area and make sure there is no shorting there. Sometimes pressing the plug in can make contact with either chassis metal or wire to wire contact. If so use insulating tape in the offending area. Chances are the decoder has blown though if shorted in this way.

Archived