Peco Stationary Decoder PLS-135

Hi Mike, welcome to the forums.

A Comment from HRMS might be useful here as a quick look at the Peco manual indicates these decoders, which must be used in conjunction with other hardware, use a combination of learn mode programming and group addressing different to the Hornby R8247.  They are also for slow action point motors, not solenoids as far as I can see.

I think on this occasion Mike might be better off firing his query at Peco. I found two resources on the Peco web site. One is a video showing how to programme the PLS-135 using a DCC Controller (unfortunately not a Hornby one). To be honest, I didn't find it particularly enlightening, it was lacking in detail. The other are the contact details for Peco "Technical Advice Bureau". The PLS-135 address configuration section is located about half way through the using Peco Smart Switch video. Also couldn't find anything useful on You-Tube regarding this issue.

Looking at the video I hope that Mike has a Hornby Elite controller. If he has an eLink then configuring the Peco just using RM alone may not be an option.

Good Luck with this one Mike !!! let us know how you get on.

Video Link

Technical Advice Link

Failing that, try talking to Hornby RM Support direct either by phone / email (getting a HRMS phone number is probably like finding hens teeth) or using the inbuilt RM support contact feature.

They  can be programmed in rm with elink using the hornby r8247 4 port decoder 

when connected to a peco smart switch,for what I think there designed for

If the op does a search on the forum around 12 months ago I asked the same question 

So I read the manual, Chris watched the video, and we weren't sure.  But HFM says he's done it using the R8247 from the RM dropdown list.  Unfortunately, I just did a search on all combination of the decoder and Smart Switch names and failed to turn up his previous post.

But until HRMS gets back, the first thing to know is you need the Smart Switch as well as this decoder.  Then you need to be using slow action point motors, not solenoids.  Finally, the group addressing procedure described in the manual allocates an address, which must be a multiple of 4, to port 4.  This is different to the Hornby procedure of allocating an address to port 1.

I'm not sure why Chris suggested you couldn't use RM with these, and HFM has confirmed otherwise.  And I'm also not sure about the learn mode programming described in the manual, as such programming is usually instead of group addressing, not as well as.

Does any of that help Mike?

I'm not sure why Chris suggested you couldn't use RM with these, and HFM has confirmed otherwise.

I didn't say you couldn't use RM, I said it MAY not be possible, I'm not sure myself. I also think HFM may have got the wrong end of the stick. Reading his post closely he says and I quote "They can be programmed in rm with elink using the hornby r8247 4 port decoder when connected to a peco smart switch". My interpretation of this statement is that HFM is using the R8247 as the decoder NOT the Peco PLS-135 decoder. This is a big difference.

I think on this occasion Mike might be better off firing his query at Peco. I found two resources on the Peco web site. One is a video showing how to programme the PLS-135 using a DCC Controller (unfortunately not a Hornby one). To be honest, I didn't find it particularly enlightening, it was lacking in detail. The other are the contact details for Peco "Technical Advice Bureau". The PLS-135 address configuration section is located about half way through the using Peco Smart Switch video. Also couldn't find anything useful on You-Tube regarding this issue.

Looking at the video I hope that Mike has a Hornby Elite controller. If he has an eLink then configuring the Peco just using RM alone may not be an option.

I have emailed Peco for some advice or instructions.

Video Link

Technical Advice Link

Failing that, try talking to Hornby RM Support direct either by phone / email (getting a HRMS phone number is probably like finding hens teeth) or using the inbuilt RM support contact feature.

Video Link

Technical Advice Link

Have emailed Peco for advice.

Mike if you are struggling to programme pls-135 programme it as per peco instructions.But before that on the smart switch board you will see a terminal block with user written next to it, put a link wire across the two terminals it should then programme fine good luck.

Reading his post closely he says and I quote "They can be programmed in rm with elink using the hornby r8247 4 port decoder when connected to a peco smart switch". My interpretation of this statement is that HFM is using the R8247 as the decoder NOT the Peco PLS-135 decoder. This is a big difference.

Chris, I'm pretty sure you have this wrong.  What I understand HFM to mean is that you can program the PLS-135 using the 8247 option in the dropdown list in Decoder Setup in RM.  You have to do this because the PLS-135 does not appear in this list.  He doesn't mean his actual decoder is the 8247.

Fishmanoz, I've read HFM's reply over and over again. I now think your interpretation is probably on balance the correct one. He starts his sentence with the word 'They'. If you substitute this word with 'The PLS-135'. Then your interpretation fits. I was focusing too much on the text "R8247 4 port decoder when connected to a peco smart switch".

I too have extensively searched  the Forum for the original post 12 months ago that he refers to and cannot find it.

PS - At some time in the future a previous reply from me might appear suggesting we ask HFM to clarify his meaning. I wrote that one before this one, but for some reason it is being held back for admin authorisation. No idea why.

Having look at the HFM post, there are a couple of things.  First you seem to need a wire link across the USER terminals.  Second, you should be able to use learn mode programming with the switch on the units.  And third, the manual now says clearly that your start address should be 4N and is the address set for port 4.  With the 8247, you start with 4N + 1 for port 1, which is effectively the same thing done a different way.

Hello everybody, 

i have just repurchased the hornby elink system for myself after getting side tracked and purchasing a Z21, which I didn't like.

Anyway I am trying to program in my Peco smartswitch, I have followed the instructions word for word, I had no luck, all afternoon I have been trying.

I then remembered that I should look on the hornby forum to see if anyone else has had this problem, there were more people then I expected having had the same dilemma as I. I did read however that if I linked out the user connection this would help. After my tea I went back up to my layout and done just that. Followed the instructions again both in the manual and on the elink accessory programming window, and bingo I got communication between RM and my smartswitch.

On coming off that window to run a loco round the track the communication was lost, absolutely nothing. Ok back onto the accessory programming window and do it again., success.

Once again coming off that page and onto the normal page, communication lost again. I did notice one thing though if I went onto the design your layout window and brought my layout up, if I right clicked onto the turnouts to bring up the information about them,using the drop down menu as to which decoder you are using the Peco smartswitch PLS 100 is not there. But on the accessory programming window the smartswitch is there in all its glory in its rightful place alphabetically. Is there a reason why this is so?

Could this have any bearing on why I can't get my turnouts to work as they should.?

Hi Derrick, you have switched back to the track output, having programmed the decoders on your programming output?  Or did you use the Learn mode for programming them on the main in th first place?

If you have done all of that correctly, I'm at a loss as to why it should affect comms for running your locos.  I suggest you contact RM Support by email from within the Help window of RM and explain to them what you have done.

Hi there fishmanoz,

I Probably didn't explain myself properly, I have taken the power for the PLS 135 decoder direct from my main line, doubled it up to also link in the PLS 100 to power that up as well. When I said I lost communication, I meant that my points didnt work after i had done the programming. I haven't got a problem running my locos its just the turnouts I want to work as they should from the mimic screen on the computer. I have done everything correctly as per instructions. 

And you are back on the track output with no operation?

Excuse me for being a little slow, but I haven't got a clue what your talking about. If you have had any dealings with the Peco Smartswitch PLS-100 and the Peco decoder PLS-135, you'll know exactly how they should be powered up. And you will know exactly how to program them. If you can't answer my original question then don't bother, I can't understand people that speak in riddles.

Hello everybody, 

i have just repurchased the hornby elink system for myself after getting side tracked and purchasing a Z21, which I didn't like.

Anyway I am trying to program in my Peco smartswitch, I have followed the instructions word for word, I had no luck, all afternoon I have been trying.

I then remembered that I should look on the hornby forum to see if anyone else has had this problem, there were more people then I expected having had the same dilemma as I. I did read however that if I linked out the user connection this would help. After my tea I went back up to my layout and done just that. Followed the instructions again both in the manual and on the elink accessory programming window, and bingo I got communication between RM and my smartswitch.

On coming off that window to run a loco round the track the communication was lost, absolutely nothing. Ok back onto the accessory programming window and do it again., success.

Once again coming off that page and onto the normal page, communication lost again. I did notice one thing though if I went onto the design your layout window and brought my layout up, if I right clicked onto the turnouts to bring up the information about them,using the drop down menu as to which decoder you are using the Peco smartswitch PLS 100 is not there. But on the accessory programming window the smartswitch is there in all its glory in its rightful place alphabetically. Is there a reason why this is so?

Could this have any bearing on why I can't get my turnouts to work as they should.?

When you are in the design menu right click the point you want to program in the drop down list select the hornby r8247 decoder give it a port number I will use example 4 then do the other 3 using port no 3,2,1 save then exit.when you are  back on layout schematic press learn button on peco decoder then throw point no 4 and all should be fine

I have been reading this thread with interest. Although dispersed in different replies I feel there is enough information present in this thread to put together a definitive guide. I may be wrong, but I get the impression that Mike may not have fully taken on board some of the comments mentioned. Apologies Mike if you feel you have…

So for what it’s worth, this is my attempt to consolidate the replies into one guide. (HFM maybe you could comment on whether I have captured the essence of programming the PLS-135 correctly or not, as clearly you are the expert here having already done it).

1)    The first thing I have noted from the replies is that it is not necessary to try and configure the PLS-135 within RM using the ‘Accessory Decoder Programming’ feature. To do so is a waste of time as it won’t work.

2)    Secondly, on the Peco Smartswitch controller board the screw terminals marked ‘user’ should have a link fitted across them, both during programming and all the time the Smartswitch is used in normal DCC operation mode.

3)    In RM, open your track plan in ‘Design Layout’ mode so that you can assign and configure point operating buttons. Let’s just consider the first four points and call them points 1 to 4 (these could be 5–8 or 9-12 etc).

4)    On the first four points add control buttons. Right click the point button of point one.

5)    In the resultant pop up box configure the first three pull down menu options as follows: Controller = A (assuming you are only using a single DCC controller). Decoder Port = 1, Type = Hornby R8247 Decoder. Close the pop up configuration box.

6)    Repeat for points 2 to 4, changing the Decoder port number to 2, 3 and 4 as appropriate.

7)    Save your track plan and exit ‘Design Layout’ plan mode.

8)    Now open RM normally so that your track plan is visible, the four points should have a small rectangular box next to them showing 0001, 0002, 0003 & 0004.

9)    Now on your PLS-135 decoder (the one that is wired to your first four points, 1 to 4 in this example) press the only button on the decoder, the green LED should start to flash (taken from Peco installation manual). Make sure that the ‘user’ screw terminals on the Smartswitch controller board are still linked as per ‘step 2’ above.

10)  Whilst the green LED is still flashing return back to RM and click the point operation button associated with point 0004. Do not touch the 0001, 0002 or 0003 buttons.

11) The green LED should now stop flashing and the PLS-135 decoder should have all four points configured as 0001 to 0004.

12) Repeat above for points 5–8, 9–12 etc clicking the '0008' and '0012' buttons in step 10 as necessary.

Apologies, if this is exactly what you have already done without success, only trying to help. HFM have I got it right in your view?

PS - I should have added that all the above is done with the PLS-135 connected to the MAIN DCC track/Bus NOT the programming track output of the controller.

PS - I should have added that all the above is done with the PLS-135 connected to the MAIN DCC track/Bus NOT the programming track output of the controller.

Archived