Oh what a difference some sound makes

Robespierre

Finally got my TTS Cock O the North going today and wow I am impressed.

Not as impressed as my 6 year old though, who is now completely captivated by the railway; his enjoyment has increased at least 10 fold with the addition of some sound.

Great product, although just one thing, why so loud?

I've a couple of Digital Sound locos, not yet unboxed; I hope these are as good.

All my locos are sound, but none of them are TTS. I found all my sound locos when new out of the box were configured with the sound set to maximum volume. If you look at the instruction sheet included with the loco it should tell you what CV to adjust in order to reduce the volume down. In my case, it was CV63 (but I think the TTS range might be different as they use a different sound decoder). Anyway, in my case my CV63 values were either 64 or 128 depending upon loco and I reduced them to 20 & 40 respectively which is quite low, but this suited my relatively small layout physical environment.

I've always drastically reduced the default overall volume on my other sound locos, not TTS ones, by writing lower numbers to CV63. I can set them down to a very reasonable volume, but, unfortunately, not so with my Hornby TTS DoG which, at a value of 1 to its CV178 is still too loud for my liking.

What are your other sound locos, Robspear? I have loads of non TTS ones and might be able to give you some idea of what to expect.

I agree with Graskie

Both my Dog and CoN are reduced to volume level  1, I wish I could lower them a little more, but 1 is the lowest setting to maintain some sound.

Nice report about your 6 year old though Robespierre ;o)

I cannot think of anything, other than trains and fishing, that capture the exciting for the youngsters.  xBox, PlayStation, etc, they come no where near!

Quite agree. Turn the sound down! It gets a bit annoying after a long time, especially if youv'e got several sound engines running at the same time. The best thing I noticed was the sound is more realistic! Just think about how we have to mute (sorry, no pun intended) colours we might use to paint models or weathering techniques. For example, on my layout, I have a cutting where you can see a train enter but is a little while before you see it again. With the sound turned up obviously I could hear it and work out its position. But now there is a delay before the engine appears and the sound then builds up. Also, when that steamy has been standing in the yard and blows off the safety valve it doesn't scare the living daylights out of you!

Technically, it will be drawing less current as well. So I suppose the decoder may last longer?

The sound level as default with TTS trains is far to high, I think most people agree but, Hornby had to make them to suit everyone, from the small layout to the show layout and no doubt set the default to 4 as it was a midddle setting. They are not likely to change this as they have included the facility to easily change the volume settings.

I agree with Graskie that sadly volume 1, the lowest level is still to loud for many. 

I agree with smooth_operator it can be a bit annoyinying when you have several or numerous trains with sound running at the same time.

Sound in trains is a new dimension, a very important one I feel, as robespeirre said, his six year old was totally captivated and the child's interest increased ten fold. Brilliant, wait until he sees automated signalling and loco detection. ;o)  Linking sound, lights and computers to the humble model train set has to be a magnet for many youngsters, hopefully.

What I try to do when setting my train sound levels, is have the sound at a level that feels realistic. But additionally I want the train to be louder when passing near to me and to be sufficiently quieter in the distance (7'6" LOL) so that when another train is passing me I can hear both both, there is a definate sound difference between the two. If to loud the first train sound would drown the sound of the other. 

It is just finding the right balance that suits us, subject to the size of layout, size of room, whether the room is empty or is furnished also makes a big difference. I just wish the sound level one was a little lower to achieve this balance. If sound level one is a little to high in a furnished room I am not sure how much louder it would sound in a garage.

PJ

You should find those two locos pretty good, Rob. I have a Hornby Black 5 and Holland Afrika Line. I think you'll agree that the sound is of a better quality, more easily controllable and capable of more than the basic two simultaneous functions restriction with TTS.

Archived