E-Link help needed

Hi all

newbie to forum and to dcc

bought elink and railmaster recently after some head scratching and a lot of help reading this forum got it working.

All of a sudden im getting USB device malfunction and the elink is not registering in device manager

Im stumped and scratching my head again

any ideas or suggestions welcomed

Thanks david

Hi David and welcome to the forum.

There is quite extensive help for elink and RM in the RailMaster section of the forum, titled RailMaster: Setting up and getting started.

Those members that have contributed to that thread have made it very clear that the steps need to be followed carefully but obviously you must be nearly there if you have had it working once.

One thing I do find with my Elite set up is that it is essential to ensure that the power is applied to the controller BEFORE the PC is started up.

Hi David

As it was working and now it is not, I think it will be a question of what's changed.  Something must have changed otherwise it would still be working.

Have you plugged the USB cable into a different socket?  If so, plug it into the one you first used.

You could also try re-installing the serial port driver.

If not, send a help request from within RM.  You will get a response very quickly and HRMS will sort the problem.

Peter

• 6 months later...

Hi,I have just purchased a e-link train set (western master) and have a few queries with it so hoping fir some help.Firstly the loco from the set now and again stops but I'm guessing it us getting hot?

my main concern though is I'm trying to add other locos as so to run them,they are in the listings but they aren't running when I put them on the track.Am I not doing something with the RM programme to make them run? The 2 locos are R3289 TTS and R3292.Hope you are able to help with my queries.

Mallard1965,

Can I suggest that you work through the locked thread at the top of the RailMaster section titled "Setting Up and Getting Started" pay particular attention on the bit about changing loco addresses. Out of the factory, all locos that are factory DCC decoder fitted are supplied as Loco address 003. Each loco needs to have its own dedicated address configured. However that said. If they are all currently at factory default 003, then when you try to run loco 003 they should all move together in unison.

According to the Hornby website. The R3292 loco is pure Analogue DC and should not be placed on your Digital track until it has been fitted with a Digital DCC decoder. To do so, has a very high risk of damaging it. Out of the box it is not compatible with your set. It would not appear to be DCC ready either, so a DCC upgrade will not be a relatively easy task.

The Western Master set was probably factory pre-configured to work out of the box. There is a fair amount of RailMaster configuration tasks that need to be performed to operate a newly aquired loco. Unfortunately the level of detail you have provided is not sufficient to assess what steps you have or have not completed.

With regard to loco stops. Does this happen at the same position on the track, certain points for example. Chances are it is a power pick-up problem rather than over-heating. If your locos are getting physically hot to the touch then there must be something fundementally wrong. If you put the R3292 on the track, then that is very likely to get very hot indeed, just before the motor coils burn out. As said before, the R3292 is not compatible with your set out of the box.

Archived